COSTI REQUIRES A GENERAL COUNSELLOR FOR ITS
CORVETTI EDUCATION CENTRE
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
This is a part-time Union position scheduled to work 30 hours per week**
- Provides intake and assessment of client needs, barriers and assets in the development of their settlement plan, particularly to refugees and newcomers.
- Through a Case Management service model, assists clients with information, referral, documentation, crisis intervention and supportive counselling services.
- Organizes and facilitates one on one and group orientation sessions to newcomers.
- Provides follow-up to clients.
- Advocates and promotes the programs and services of the agency.
- Liaises with government, community groups, educational institutions and volunteers regarding services for clients.
- Keeps administrative records of services and activities, prepares necessary reports and inputs data using COSTI CISv2 and ICARE databases.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in providing settlement counselling.
- This includes: Assisting clients in identifying long and short-term goals and developing settlement plans for initial or post settlement needs.
- Conducting needs assessments, to address any of the following issues:
- Immigration (PR expiry, work permit), basic needs (food, shelter, banking), employment, Money and finances, childcare, housing (subsidy, Rent Bank),crisis intervention (child abuse, women & elder abuse), Income support (OW, ODSP, CPP, OAS), Education (high school, LINC, ESL, post-secondary).
- Organizing and facilitating orientation sessions to address any of the following topics:
- Initial and post settlement health needs e.g. OHIP, Canada’s food guide, Elder Abuse, finding a doctor;
- Financial issues e.g. income supports, fraud prevention, power of attorney
- Orientation to education, children services, recreation
- Housing options, tenant rights, subsidized housing
- Citizenship preparation,
- Must have previous experience in working with clients from China.
- Thorough knowledge of settlement issues facing refugees and new immigrants.
- Sensitive to the needs of newcomers and aware of the social and economic trends of immigrants.
- Experience in completing immigration and various government application forms
- Demonstrated experience organizing and facilitating orientation sessions.
- Must be able to speak one or more of the following languages: Somali, Amharic, Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Demonstrated experience with virtual platforms (Zoom, Google Meet, GoToMeetings)
- Strong customer service skills and demonstrated ability to liaise with community organizations.
- Experience in conducting various methods of outreach.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure of heavy caseload and deadlines.
- Sound knowledge of iCARE database, Internet, Email and MS Office in a Windows environment.
- Highly developed organizational skills, ability to multi-task and set priorities independently.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English is required.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within past 6 months.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.