Disability Support Workers (High Behaviours) - Westlock
Job ID: J1220-0540
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Varies; set rotation and times of services to be discussed
Number of Positions: 2
Compensation: $20.09 - $23.09/hr/Hour
336-45 Westlock Happy Place
WJS Canada's therapeutic residential homes provide long-term support to individuals with high-intensity behaviors that overwhelm traditional caregivers. These individuals display behavior that is significantly more aggressive, self-harming, or complicated by substance abuse, mental health diagnosis or involvement with the law. Individual support plans are jointly developed with the individual (&/or their family/guardian) to meet their emotional, behavioural and mental health needs and help them develop socially acceptable behaviours and make connections in their communities.
**This position requires female workers.** Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the persons served.
WJS Canada is hiring two (2) highly qualified FEMALE Disability Support Workers for a residential home in Westlock, Alberta to support one female client with high behavioural challenges. Challenging behaviors will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only applicants with previous experienced with de-escalation techniques and a minimum of 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviors and/or trauma will be interviewed for this challenging position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. *
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise complex behavioral, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities); observing & documenting changes
• May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviors that place themselves or others at risk.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviors on a daily basis.
• Provide individualized supports within a consistent, healthy & safe environment
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• MUST HAVE 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma.
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Valid class 5 driver license (or GDL and 2 years driving experience) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Behaviour Management, Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!