Are you passionate about making a difference during the COVID-19 pandemic? This is your opportunity! The Mustard Seed is looking for an experienced Social Worker or Counselor to provide care and support for our city's most vulnerable. Apply today!
Shelter Support Worker - Relief works as part of a team and closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Shelter Support Worker - Relief are on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis, while maintaining the shelter daily operations. Shelter Support Worker - Relief also work alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Position Type: Casual
Reporting to: Shelter Lead Supervisor (CGY)
Location: First Alliance Church Shelter
Number of Positions to Fill: 3
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support guests seeking shelter through meeting basic needs and assisting guests with internal and external resources in a respectful manner;
- Respect proper boundaries with guests;
- Administrative tasks, maintain guest records and write accurate logs;
- Support and work alongside volunteers;
- Be a pro-active and supportive team-mate to fellow staff members;
- Support TMS culture, ministry and uphold TMS values;
- Maintain daily shelter operations which includes laundry, operating the hygiene room, cleaning the dining room, mat area and washrooms, maintaining and operating the locker room, searches and security walks;
- Maintain a safe environment through supervision, zone and bathroom checks, and enforcing shelter expectations with guests;
- Availability to take on-call shifts as required;
- Attend required training;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Must be able to work any of the shifts including on the weekends;
- Diploma/certificate in relevant discipline;
- 1-year experience in social work or counseling preferred;
- Strong people and communication skills;
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Customer service experience;
- Ability to remain composed under pressure;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Experience working with volunteers and in a team environment.
- Shifts are 8.5 hours long. Your supervisor will discuss your shift with you;
- The working environment for this position requires moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests;
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve;
- This position requires the training in usage of a two-way radio communications; MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system, FDARP, FOIP, First aid, NVCI, and SafeTalk;
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry.
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.