JOB POSTING 2021-11-01
Career Paths for Immigrants
Wage: $26.00 per hour
35 Hrs per Week Contract
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969. We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life. Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all. We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership. Come help us help people.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for meeting all program objectives and targets. To provide services to clients in Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack and Hope. Their main duties are program development and administration, client service, and program outreach and marketing.
Program Development and Administrative Duties
- Respond to internal and external communication including providing program information, developing employer relationships, collaborating on workshops or other initiatives
- Manage two databases (one Federal, one Provincial) to log budget data, services and other client related data
- Perform administrative duties such as approving time cards and vacation time, scheduling program staff and workshops.
- Develop and update employment workshops based on existing material, best practices, and client needs using a variety of tools including PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Write quarterly and annual Ministry and agency reports identifying trends and challenges within your program and reporting on program targets.
- Attend various meetings (Stream Two, MIIS Coordinator meeting, Provincial Advisory meeting) and exchange program information with colleagues.
- Manage programs budget including tracking spending allocation within funder constraints, reporting budgetary data in databases and reports, and prepare and provide invoicing information to accounting on a regular basis.
Program Outreach and Marketing Duties
- Work collaboratively with the Program Outreach Assistant to plan and schedule events and workshops
- Attend community-based activities for networking purposes, promote program, recruit clients and build relationships with prospective employers.
- Promote and market the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants Program, including outreach activities, cold calling and advertising, across the service area.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers to provide clients with practicum placements and temporary work assignments.
Client Service Duties
- Provide one on one support to clients through intake and follow up career consulting appointments using case management principles such as goal setting and barrier identification to create a plan and track progress.
- Coach clients on various employment skills including resume and cover letter writing, career and certification research, interview preparation networking and other employment skills.
- Conduct research to facilitate client goals including educational institutions, professional associates and credential evaluation.
- Work with the Employment Mentors Program, where appropriate, to provide seamless case management that includes career counselling, networking support and mentorship opportunities.
- Facilitate workshops to small groups of clients in service area.
- Provide services to clients across service area (Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack and Hope).
- Be an advocate on behalf of clients seeing practicum placement by identifying barriers, planning to address barriers, promoting clients’ skills and experience, and negotiating with prospective employers.
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- Valid Driver’s License
- Career Development Practitioner Certificate an asset.
- Degree in a Human Service Field or an equivalent combination of work experience and formal academic education
- Excellent knowledge of employment needs of adult immigrants
- Strong marketing and public relations skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of BC system and the capacity to connect clients to mainstream services, especially labour market services
- Experience in meeting or event planning, strong interpersonal and client services skills; excellent communication skills; highly organized and detail oriented
- Strong knowledge of international perspectives that enhance the multicultural newcomer to Canada, with a demonstrated knowledge of specific community based programs and related systems
- Solid working knowledge of existing governmental programs affecting newcomers to Canada
- Strong marketing and promotions background
- At least 2 years experience working in a client service role.
- At least 2 years experience developing workshop material and providing facilitation
- At least 2 years experience networking and building relationships with stakeholders.
- At least 2 years providing coaching around employment skills and cultural norms.
- Experience using case management principles in providing services to clients.
- Experience working in an office setting and using Microsoft Office Suite.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills.
- Knowledge of goal setting methods and their practical application.
- Ability to keep up to date on labor market information and industry trends as change occurs.
- Well-developed knowledge and skill regarding case management principles including goal setting, creating timelines and action planning
- Strong knowledge of Canadian workplace cultural norms.
- Well-developed facilitation skills with a focus on facilitation for newcomers.
- Knowledge of best practices in employment skills including resume and cover letter writing and formatting networking, interviewing.
- Cross-cultural awareness, able to communicate and interact with a wide variety of people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Must have reliable vehicle
- Service area covered by this position is Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, and Hope – the incumbent will need to visit these communities, as needed
- Reading and understanding complicated and detailed information including statistics, and research
Closing date is Date: January 29, 2021