Shepherds of Good Hope is looking to add to its dynamic team of employees! Are you passionate about helping others? Are you interested in learning about leading-edge harm reduction programming? Want to gain experience in the social service field? Shepherds of Good Hope is hiring casual staff to work in a wide variety of shelter and supportive housing programs across the city. By joining the team as a casual employee, you will have opportunities to work in a variety of programs and departments, and have access to our internal postings for regular part-time and full-time positions, which come with a comprehensive group benefits package.
Shepherds of Good Hope (SGH) is one of the largest not-for-profit organizations dedicated to meeting the needs of homeless and vulnerably-housed individuals in the city of Ottawa. Many individuals who access our programs and services live with trauma, mental health challenges and addictions. A leader in supportive housing and harm-reduction, Shepherds of Good Hope provides around-the-clock, comprehensive services to both women and men in multiple locations across the city. By offering innovative programs and services in a non-judgmental environment, we are creating a community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
- Provide support to high acuity clients, including provision of basic needs, crisis intervention, engagement and referrals.
- Establish professional relationships that respect the dignity and individuality of each client and staff member.
- Support clients through the maintenance of a clean and sanitary environment in accordance with the needs of the program.
- Follow program procedures for distribution of medication and other supplies.
- Effectively utilize communication systems to convey client and program related information.
- Work independently and as a member of the team.
- Work collaboratively with partnering agencies
- Engage in client advocacy
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to carry out all safety requirements and emergency procedures.
- Additional duties as required.
- Post-Secondary education in Social Science or Human Services or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of addiction, mental health, and poverty issues.
- Able to work using a health promotion approach and harm reduction philosophies.
- Effective conflict resolution, problem-solving, and decision-making skills; good judgement.
- Experience with Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and behaviour/ intoxication assessments considered an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Promotion of values such as compassion, empathy, patience and inclusion.
- Experience in maintaining accurate records.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and related software is required.
- Able to lift up to 25kg.
- Bilingual (English and French) is considered an asset
- May encounter high acuity clientele
- May be required to perform duties such as the cleaning and sanitizing of bodily fluids/SITE material
- May be required to deal with client overdose and other medical situations
CASUAL STATUS SCHEDULING EXPECTATIONS
- All casual staff are expected to be available for six (6) shifts per week, with a minimum of two (2) shifts being overnights per week. It is an expectation that casual staff will be available for a minimum of 2 shifts per week.
- Casual staff submit their availabilities for shifts on a monthly and weekly basis to the Scheduler.
- Shifts are awarded on a seniority basis. For new casual staff, the most common shifts available are overnight and weekend shifts or emergency/sick replacement shifts.
- All causal staff are expected to be available for 50% of holidays including either Christmas Day or New Year’s Day.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS
- Health and Safety Training completed during onboarding, and are updated annually.
- A recent vulnerable sector check completed at maximum 3 months prior to employment offer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Shepherds of Good Hope is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of our clients, residents, employees and volunteers, including those with disabilities. Please inform if you require accommodation through the hiring process and we will work with you to meet your needs.