Nichol Place is a brand new 48 room Assisted Living Residence focused on supporting individuals living with mental health and substance use diagnosis. Residents are focused on increasing their independence as they transition in to community and full independence.
The Mental Health Worker-Team Lead will be responsible for assisting mental health clients with various levels of medication administration, providing support and assistance with psychosocial activities & providing assistance with activities of daily living. In addition, they will provide direction, guidance and support to front line staff to ensure seamless and quality service delivery across the program. Our Assisted Living Program will focus on providing Psychosocial Rehabilitation to clients with emphasis on promoting recovery, successful community integration and satisfactory quality of life.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors the daily operation of the programs and ensures quality control. Ensures program standards, guidelines and policies are met and maintained.
- Provide support, training and direction to staff persons.
- Meets with staff individually and as a team to discuss program issues as well as, exchange information.
- Provide feedback and performance plans/evaluations on all staff persons on a regular basis.
- Assists clients in the residence and in the community to encourage them to function more independently. Develops knowledge of local resources/activities. Makes referrals to other programs and resources if required.
- Works in collaboration with the Mental Health Clinical Team, which includes Case Manager, Psychiatrist, Pharmacist and other health care professionals.
- Under the direction of the Nurse, medication administration tasks will be delegated to the MHW to distribute and administer medications safely in accordance with medication policies and procedures.
- Participate in care/recovery planning with clients and/mental health clinical team.
- Provides community based Psychosocial rehabilitation services by identifying and supporting clients in accessing and developing links into community programs and services.
- Assists clients to identify and gain access to formal and informal community supports such as leisure, vocational, educational services through active community integration; providing community services resources.
- Fostering a team approach to ensure the client has access to the tools and resources to achieve their goals as outlined in their recovery care plan.
- Monitors clients’ well-being. Assists clients with activities of daily living such as, but not limited to, appointments reminders, assist to facilitate public transportation, medication management, attending medical appointments, providing reminders for personal hygiene & grooming. Depending on clients’ needs and abilities, worker may provide assistance with laundry services, including housekeeping/tiding suite, along with other hospitality services Facilitate and engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with clients. May assist clients with attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required.
- Evaluates clients on an ongoing basis and develops plans and strategies to meet client’s needs. Also ensures that the client actively participates and engages in the program expectations and recovery plan.
- Observes and records the physical and mental health status of clients and take necessary action.
- Respond to emergency incidents and call appropriate authorities (ex. 911).
- Facilitates and may engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with client.
Education, Training, and Experience
The candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience (Mental Health Worker/Residential Care Aide certificate/training).
- Minimum 3 years leading a team in a social service setting.
- Current Level I First Aid certificate required.
- FoodSafe Certificate.
- Unrestricted Class 5 Drivers License
- Access to a reliable vehicle for business use.
- Medication Administration Certificate.
- Lived experience relevant to the service setting is considered an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Firm understanding of harm reduction approach and its implementation in a community based setting.
- Demonstrated ability in crisis de-escalation skills applied in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability working with individuals living with substance misuse issues and or an untreated mental illness.
- Understanding of a trauma informed approach.
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices.
- Knowledge of program policy and procedures.
- Knowledge and proficiency in relevant software.
- Ability to work with clients living with mental illness.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference
Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.