16 hours per week (Thursday - Sunday 7 am – 3 pm)
16 hours per week (Thursday - Sunday 7 am – 3 pm)
32 hours per week (Tuesday – Friday 3 pm – 11 pm)
24 hours per week (Saturday – Monday 3 pm – 11 pm)
24 hours per week (Friday – Sunday 11 pm – 7 am)
24 hours per week (Monday – Thursday 11 pm – 7 am)
Maple Place is a six bed assisted living program supporting adults living with a Mental Health diagnosis in White Rock. The home is staffed 24 hours a day and is located near Peace Arch Hospital. Residents will be supported within the Assisted Living registrar model that includes Psycho Social Rehab, medication management and 24 hour supports. Residents will work towards increasing independence and gaining important skills while working within their unique and personal recovery plans.
The Mental Health Worker will be responsible for assisting mental health clients with various levels of medication administration, providing support and assistance with psychosocial activities & providing assistance with activities of daily living.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assists clients in the residence and in the community to encourage them to function more independently. Develops knowledge of local resources/activities. Makes referrals to other programs and resources if required.
• Works in collaboration with the Mental Health Clinical Team which includes Case Manager, Psychiatrist, Pharmacist and other health care professionals
• Distribute and administer medications safely in accordance with medication policies and procedures.
• Participate in care/recovery planning with clients and/mental health clinical team
• Provides community based Psycho social rehabilitation services by identifying and supporting clients in accessing and developing links into community programs and services
• Assists clients to identify and gain access to formal and informal community supports such as leisure, vocational, educational services through active community integration; providing community services resources
• Fostering a team approach to ensure the client has access to the tools and resources to achieve their goals as outlined in their recovery care plan
• Monitors clients’ well-being. Assists clients with activities of daily living such as, but not limited to, appointments reminders, assist to facilitate public transportation, medication management, attending medical appointments, providing reminders for personal hygiene & grooming. Depending on clients’ needs and abilities, worker may provide assistance with laundry services, including housekeeping/tiding suite, along with other hospitality services Facilitate and engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with clients. May assist clients with attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required.
• Evaluates clients on an ongoing basis and develops plans and strategies to meet client’s needs. Also ensures that the client actively participates and engages in the program expectations and recovery plan.
• Observes and records the physical and mental health status of clients and take necessary action.
• Respond to emergency incidents and call appropriate authorities (ex. 911)
• Advocates for and with the clients to encourage them to maintain their rights and dignity.
• Makes recommendations with regard to the development of the program and participates in program evaluations.
• Collaborates with team members and other professionals as needed.
• Liaises with other community services, programs and organizations
• Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with other staff, volunteers, and clients
• Maintain professional growth and keep up to date on trends related to the responsibilities of the position
• Facilitates and may engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with client.
• Able to recognize, analyze and strategize around potential emergency situations. Reports problems to supervisor and or proper authorities.
• Provides accurate reports and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required.
• Reports and addresses health and safety issues/concerns as they
Education, Training, and Experience
The candidate must have:
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience (Mental Health Worker/Residential Care Aide certificate/training)
• Current Level I First Aid certificate required
• FoodSafe Certificate required
• Medication Administration Certificate (asset)
• Unrestricted Class 5 Drivers License
• Access to a reliable vehicle for business use
• Lived experience relevant to the service setting is considered an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Good organization, time and general management skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Firm understanding of harm reduction approach and its implementation in a community based setting.
• Demonstrated ability in crisis de-escalation skills applied in a team setting
• Demonstrated ability working with individuals living with substance misuse issues and or an untreated mental illness.
• Understanding of a trauma informed approach
• Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices
• Knowledge of program policy and procedures
• Knowledge and proficiency in relevant software
• Ability to work with clients living with mental illness.
• Ability to work effectively independently and in cooperation with others.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
• Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
* An eligibility list will be maintained for up to 6 months. [Eligible applicants may be offered a casual position]
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!