The Burnaby Neighbourhood House is a multi-service charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to the residents of Burnaby. BNH currently operates 2 Neighbourhood Houses, 9 daycare sites and a community hall and has an operating budget of approximately 4.5 million dollars. We are currently expanding our senior management team and are looking for a leader to provide financial oversight while managing the growth our organization.
This is a wonderful opportunity to work with an amazing organization and an amazing management team. You will have the ability to develop and implement new systems and procedures in a dynamic and growing organization that makes a positive impact in the community.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing, refining, and maintaining accounting and administrative systems.
- Responsible for preparation of financial statements, cash flows and financial forecasting.
- Leads the annual budgeting process with the executive director and senior management team.
- Responsible for leading the financial monitoring and quarterly reporting for provincial and federal contracts.
- Preparation of financial statements for various grants and projects as required by funders and financial management of provincial and federal contract spending.
- Supporting senior management team to develop budgets when responding to RFPs.
- Responsible for overseeing the yearly audit.
- Responsible for completing and overseeing bookkeeping and tracking day to day financial systems – tracking accounts receivable, accounts payable, coding bills, bank deposits, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring the completion of necessary government reporting, i.e. GST rebate, society filing, WCB, Charity tax filing.
- Manages the community gaming account expenditures, reporting and accountability.
- Oversight of staff preparing bi weekly payroll and maintaining employee records.
- Oversight of employee benefits. Group RSP, vacation, extended health.
- Presentation of financial statements to the Board Finance committee.
- Supervision and mentoring of accounting assistants.
- Others duties as required.
- Post-secondary degree and/or accreditation in finance, accounting and/or business administration.
- 3+ years accounting experience in not for profit/charity sector.
- 3+ years management experience in finance and administration.
- Experience and knowledge of accounting processes including bookkeeping (experience with simply accounting program an asset).
- Exceptional computer skills and advanced level of Excel and Microsoft Office.
- Excellent organizational skills and experience with developing and maintaining office systems.
- Innovative and willing to implement systems to create efficiencies that will support growth.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills – written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Comfortable with supervising and providing direction to two staff with potentially more in the future.
- Formal accounting designation (or working towards) – CA, CGA, CMA is an asset for this role.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
Hours & Pay rate:
Full time - 35 hours per week
Extended Health benefit package (after 3 months) 3% matching group RSP (after one year)
Rate of pay range - 29.43 – 35.09
Deadline: Until the position is filled
Start Date: As soon as possible