Are you passionate about working with youth (ages 14-17) and being a part of their journey towards adulthood? Do you identify yourself as organized, takes initiative and a self-starter when relationship building? As a Transitional Support Worker (TSW), you will build relationships with youth through utilizing non-judgmental, harm reduction, trauma informed and solution focused approaches. You will create a safe, clean and supportive home environment with the youth to support their successful transitional to adulthood through relationship building, role modelling, supportive listening and life skills development.
YHP offers a safe, supportive transitional housing for youth experiencing complex barriers such as substance use/misuse/addictions, legal, poverty, traumatic histories, mental health, poverty and homelessness, LGBTQ2S+, and newcomers to Canada and/or refugees, and PSECA concerns.
Hours: When applying please indicate which part-time role you are applying for:
- Position 1: Temporary for 6 months – Saturday & Sunday from 7:00am to 11:30am
- Position 2: Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 11:30am
(Due to AHS recommendations, applicants who are working at multiple congregate living or healthcare sites may not be considered.)
Why Join Our Team
- Double staffing model to better walk alongside the youth we serve.
- In-house training opportunities to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role.
- A culture of on-going feedback and recognition through supervision sessions, formal and informal feedback.
- Be part of a diverse team and collaborative work environment that works together towards personal and professional growth.
In Your Role You Will
- Build rapport, supervise and encourage youth through one-on-one supports.
- Assist youth to actively participate in their transition plan and monitor their progression.
- Encourage and support youth in developing/maintaining healthy routines and life skills development related to household shopping, meal planning and preparation, sleep routines, household maintenance, money management etc.).
- Develop and maintain household budget for food in the house.
- Communicate pertinent information and progress of youth to the House Leadership Team through daily case notes, documentation and log book tracking.
- Prepare and maintain a clean and orderly living environment in order to create a safe and supportive home environment for the youth.
- Complete Critical Incident Reports (CIR) as required.
- Comply and adhere to policies and procedures including: internal e4c policies, legislation, bylaws, licensing standards, CARF, Alberta Health, medication administration documentation/procedures etc.
- Re-inforce conflict resolution, positive communication, household respect through positive reinforcement, role modeling, supportive listening, etc.
- Attend youth house meetings, attend hospital visits and community outings with youth.
- Maintain positive relationships with neighbors, visitors and other community members.
Education and Certifications
- Degree/diploma in Child and Youth Care (CYC), Social Work, Human Services, or related field.
- Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Child Intervention Check.
- Certifications: Standard First Aid, Suicide Intervention Training, Medication Administration, De-escalation, Harm Reduction, Indigenous Awareness Training, Protection of Sexually Exploited Children’s Act, WHMIS and Food Safety.
- Use of a reliable, registered vehicle, driver’s license, a recent driver’s abstract and valid insurance including two million dollar liability coverage.
- Participation in AHS Personal Protective Equipment and You E-Learning Course must be completed prior to employment.
- 2 years working with marginalized populations (youth experience is an asset).
- Strong interpersonal, non-judgmental, empathetic, flexible and ability to work with initiative
- and independence.
- Experience working with youth struggling with addictions, poverty, mental health, and trauma.
- Working knowledge and experience with harm reduction, resiliency, trauma -informed and solution focused practice.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, database applications and computer orientation.