Community Disability Support Worker – Westlock, Alberta
Job ID J0221-0672
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Title: Disability Support Worker - Westlock
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+ hrs/wk
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: Rotation is 3 shifts on and 3 shifts off, including weekend. Shift time vary between 9am-9pm
Compensation: $17.09 - $20.00 /Hour
Supporting two NON-COMPLEX needs programs: 344-34 Buffalo care and 336-34 Transformers
with 3-4 independent men living separately on their own in Westlock, Alberta.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to set goals, identify challenges and celebrate successes. Supports will focus on role modeling and supporting independent living skills through healthy living, mental wellness, teaching/modelling budgeting and cooking skills and building social connections.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., provide or prompt/model personal care and hygiene, life skills and social skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include assisting person served with food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Client prefers Indigenous support workers
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada offers customized social services supports and programs to individuals with the following disabilities:
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Syndrome
Our goals are to help individuals become independent, improve their lives and develop life skills. We meet these goals by focusing on each individual's strengths. Our programs include:
- Self-help skills training
- Community Living
- Home Living Options
- Behavioural consultation
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees!
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!