COSTI REQUIRES A HOUSING COUNSELLOR FOR ITS
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles
This is a fulltime union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week**
(current incumbent is on secondment)
- Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
- If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
- Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients within a prescribed timeframe.
- Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases.
- Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
- Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
- Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
- Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
- Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
- Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support.
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services within a Shelter setting.
- Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence, people with mental health and or addiction.
- Ability to speak a second language will be considered an asset.
- Previous case management experience.
- Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless and refugee populations and knowledge of the Toronto shelter system.
- Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
- Experience assisting clients accessing Toronto Housing Allowance Program, Furniture Bank, and Subsidized housing.
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
- Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate is required
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
- Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.