The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal government. It fosters sustainable communities enjoying a high quality of life by promoting strong, effective, and accountable municipal government.
Position: Advisor, Capacity Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, Green Municipal Fund
Department: FCM Programs
Classification: Level 5
Salary Band: $75,800 - $95,650
Language: Bilingualism (English and French) is required
The cornerstone of the FCM Programs department is the Green Municipal Fund™ (GMF), a $1 billion permanent endowment from the Government of Canada. As a leading catalyst for innovation at the local level, GMF offers funding (loans and grants) and knowledge to local governments and their partners for sustainable municipal initiatives designed to support communities to improve air, water, soil quality and to protect the climate. Through GMF, municipalities have built better transportation assets; constructed efficient and resilient buildings; diverted waste from landfill; made previously unusable land available for development; and improved soil and water quality.
GMF helps to develop the skills, knowledge and capacity of Canadian municipalities to plan and deliver innovative, sustainable infrastructure, thereby saving millions of dollars for taxpayers and creating jobs that contribute to local economies. GMF’s Capacity Development team shares the lessons and expertise gained from these initiatives through skills-enhancement, training and knowledge-sharing activities including case studies, manuals and reports, webinars, the FCM Sustainable Communities Awards and the FCM Sustainable Communities Conference. These activities help other communities replicate the successes of GMF-funded initiatives, multiplying the benefits of those initiatives across the country.
Reporting to the Manager, Capacity Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, the Advisor, Capacity Development, Monitoring and Evaluation leads in the development and implementation of best-in-class Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Knowledge Sharing (MELKS) strategies for the capacity development activities of the Green Municipal Fund. Key duties include:
- managing the capacity development planning and reporting cycle;
- responsible for monitoring and evaluation of capacity development programming, including analysis of effectiveness, progress towards outcomes, and impact;
- ensuring that relevant results data from GMF funded projects and capacity development activities are is collected, managed, analyzed, to inform a continuous improvement cycle and tell the story of the achievements of the capacity development programming.
The incumbent will work closely with the Senior Manager Capacity Development, the Managers of Capacity Development and the Manager, Impact Research and Performance to manage the knowledge generated from program results data and information to support continuous improvement, impact reporting, annual planning and strategic planning. As an active member of FCM’s Programs Department Team, the incumbent will take part in various departmental initiatives and support FCM’s overall role as a national leading municipal association aimed at strengthening local capacities and enhancing governance.
Planning and Reporting (30% level of effort)
- Develops and refines planning and reporting processes, templates and tools as required to ensure compliance with GMF’s Performance Measurement Framework (PMF) and all reporting requirements stated in the Contribution Agreement by working with the program team to collect, manage and analyze data from a wide range of sources, as well as extract best practices and synthesize findings from the various initiatives.
- Manages the program quarterly review (retreat) and reporting processes, including developing schedules/critical paths, analysis of data from the program activities and FCM Communication staff, communicating established timelines and monitoring work progress.
- Leads the development and finalization of Annual Progress Reports through the GMF Annual Report and quarterly progress reports to GMF Council in collaboration with the GMF Impact Research and Reporting team.
- In close collaboration with GMF Capacity Development Senior Manager, Managers, and FCM corporate services (finance, communication), coordinates the preparation of the Capacity Development Annual Work Plans including all related outputs and outcomes reporting, including preparation of qualitative and quantitative data analysis to inform the process.
- Supports the preparation of results-related materials and presentations for meetings of GMF’s governance and management bodies (i.e. GMF Council, and FCM’s Board of Directors) and briefs governance representatives as required in advance of governance meetings.
- Supports preparation of presentations on capacity development activities and impacts at various external stakeholders’ events (e.g. thematic workshops, annual conferences).
Monitoring and Evaluation (60% level of effort)
- Responsible for the capacity development elements of GMF’s monitoring and evaluation system within the program’s PMF, including data flow, data management (cleaning and storage), data analysis (both quantitative and qualitative), contributing to knowledge translation for key decision-making and learning-related input points (e.g. meetings, quarterly retreats, organizational planning and learning week, and donor reporting).
- Builds the capacity and guides the work of capacity development program staff on qualitative data collection and conducts analysis to tell the story of MCIP’s outcomes achieved. Supports the staff team with ongoing follow-up workshops on data analysis and monitoring-related technical capacity.
- Develops and refines monitoring and evaluation related templates and tools as required to ensure compliance with the program’s PMF and all reporting requirements stated in the Contribution Agreement by working with the Capacity Development team to collect, manage and analyze data from a wide range of sources, as well as collaborating with the Impact Research and Reporting team to extract best practices and synthesize findings from GMF-funded initiatives.
Knowledge Management (10% level of effort)
- Manages the knowledge translation from outcome and output related data analysis to inform planning, future program design, as well as learning and decision-making efforts during Quarterly Team Retreats, implementation partners’ workshops, as well as management meetings.
- Works closely with other FCM domestic and international programs, and with FCM’s Policy and Public Affairs team, to ensure the coordination and knowledge sharing of models, tools, best practices, sectoral knowledge and experiences.
Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree in public or business administration, environmental science, engineering, urban planning, political science or a related discipline.
- 5 - 7 years of progressively responsible experience in project and/or program management roles, including experience in research, qualitative data analysis and results-based management.
- Experience in impact measurement and evaluation utilizing a broad range of quantitative and qualitative tools and methods, combined with related experience in progress reporting to funders.
- High level of comfort in understanding data analysis and synthesizing findings related to climate change adaptation and the quantification of greenhouse gas emissions reductions.
- Experience leading a highly collaborative, dynamic team with clear performance expectations and in an outcomes-focused, real-time, client service environment.
- Experience engaging and collaborating with diverse stakeholders related to governance processes, capacity building and project/program design and implementation.
- Experience in knowledge management, knowledge mobilization, and the development of knowledge products.
- Strong political acumen, tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and negotiation skills with a focus on external stakeholders
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Knowledge of the Canadian municipal sector is an asset
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and/or elected officials is an asset
The ability to work in both official languages (English and French) is essential.
- Some travel within Canada - approximately 2 - 5 trips per year for 1-2 days per trip on average
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a temporary work from home protocol until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home during this period.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at www.fcm.ca.
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is March 3, 2021.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.