The Youth Program Leader is responsible for assisting the Youth Coordinator in the organizing, planning and implementation of leadership programs.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- To promote Burnaby Neighbourhood House philosophy by ensuring participants have opportunities to connect across program areas
- To supervise and support youth participants, ensuring safety & inclusion in program
- Promote BNH Leadership programs within Burnaby community, agencies and schools to recruit participants
- To assist Youth Coordinator to interview and screen potential participants
- To assist Youth Coordinator to plan and implement workshops & curriculum for two levels of leadership, including personal & career development, community networking, life skills building and volunteering opportunities
- Foundations of Leadership – Grade 8-9
- Future Leaders – Grade 10-12
- Provide opportunities and encourage youth to plan, organize & participate in ongoing community initiatives
- Assist with placing and supporting youth in practical learning experiences within Neighbourhood House programs and community partners
- To assist Youth Coordinator with the youth evaluation process
- To assist Youth Coordinator with planning and booking out trips, trainings and guest speakers/facilitators
- To work within budget limits provided by program coordinator
- To maintain communication with youth participants in regard to programming
- To participate in regular staff meetings and training sessions
- To develop positive relationships with youth and act as a role model and mentor
- Experience working with youth in a social-recreational setting
- Experience with program planning & implementation
- Minimum 1 year experience in a community based social service agency
- Diploma or certificate in related field an asset
- Understanding of community development
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism
- Familiarity with Neighbourhood Houses and the role they play in communities
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification.
- Current criminal record check.
- FoodSafe level 1
- Class 4 Driver’s License and asset
- 2nd language an asset
Hours of Work:
12 hours per week. - $17.49 – $18.59/hr. (Based on experience)
This position will be performed both in person and remotely
The Youth Program Leader reports directly to the Youth Coordinator.