As a neighborhood-based organization, our purpose is to strengthen the health and vitality of community by:
• identifying and responding to community needs,
• collaborating to enhance the lives of those we serve,
• cultivating effective, sustainable partnerships.
We are currently looking for an experienced Youth Worker to join our HUB Team. The Youth Worker will build positive relationships and provide direct support to youth accessing the Langley Youth Hub. Gather information relevant to participants’ strengths, needs and risks to short-term, issue specific intervention plans within program guidelines.
JOB POSTING: 2021-0100 – HUB YW
DATE: February 22, 2021
POSITION: Temporary Part-Time
END DATE: September 2021
POSITION: HUB Youth Worker
This Position is Bargaining Unit Exempt
HOURS OF WORK: 10 hrs per week (mostly afternoons and evenings shift)
SALARY RANGE: Grid 10 - $21.52 - $23.90
VACATION: As Per ESSS Policies
ANTICIPATED START DATE: ASAP
CLOSING DATE: March 04, 2021
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Maintain programming within the Youth Resource Centre
• Monitor youth in a drop in setting and ensure their safety and well being
• Support volunteers involved with the Resource Centre
• Teach youth to relate in a socially appropriate manner through the use of routines activities
• Assist in the promotion of community programs and events by the distribution of brochures to local schools and businesses
• Collaborate with outside agencies and community organizations
• Provide emotional support and crisis intervention to youth within the HUB Program
• Outlines services provided by the Langley Youth Hub and Encompass Support Services Society and community partners. Provide referrals, and assist youth to access appropriate community resources or specialized services to ensure youth have the skills to work through their needs long-term
• Support community partners and services providers within Hub with administrative related duties
• Maintains awareness of current community resources including health care services
• All other duties as they relate to the Langley Youth Hub, which may be assigned from time to time
1. Education and Knowledge
• Diploma in a related human/social services field including but not limited to (child and youth care, social work, addictions, psychology, etc.)
2. Training and Experience
• 2 year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Training in de-escalation and crisis intervention including briefing and de-briefing
• Extensive knowledge of social issues facing the youth population
• Current First Aid Certification required.
3. Skills and Abilities
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills to interact effectively and build relationships with program staff, families, funders, volunteers, community, agencies and other organizations.
• Solution-oriented to meet challenges facing participants served through the Langley Youth Hub, including but not limited to youth, homeless, substance using and those with mental health issues.
• Knowledge of building resilience and community belonging through the youth drop-in model
• Demonstrated ability to provide excellent client-centered services
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to change and perform effectively in a dynamic and complex work environment.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and respond effectively to crisis situations
• Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work, independently, within a team setting and as a part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Preference will be given to individuals with crisis intervention, suicide prevention, conflict resolution, and bullying and or gang awareness.
• Experience working with vulnerable youth 12-24 years of age.
• Experience or knowledge of issues such as substance abuse, mental health issues, homelessness and exploitation
4. Other Information
• Able to work within a flexible work schedule including evenings and possibly weekends.
• A Class 4 license is deemed to an asset
• Must provide primary source credential verification
• Must have a working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software.
• Current Criminal Record Check, vulnerable sector
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!