Disability Support Worker (Part time 14 hr/wk) - Westlock
Job ID J0321-0684
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 14 hrs/wk
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Varies; Must be flexible as shift times and days may change. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Compensation: $17.09 - $20.00 /Hour
Closing Date: Until successfully hired
Program: 336-34 Westlock Transformers
Helping people with diverse abilities thrive in their communities
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Westlock works to encourage persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and become involved in their community.
The Community Disability Support Worker, under supervision of the Team Lead, provides daily living skills and community integration support and training for adults with a developmental disability to maximize each individual’s independence.
Must be flexible as shift days and times may change according to the client needs. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
In Your Role You Will
• Provide direct support to persons with developmental disabilities in their home and community.
• Support individuals with transportation, daily living, vocational, leisure and social activities through teaching (modeling, coaching, feedback) and advocacy.
• Develop strategies for individuals to overcome difficulties, including modifying/adapting environments toward success of client.
• Facilitate development of natural community support systems.
• Act as an advocate alongside individuals in service and facilitate good communication between all involved in the individual’s life
• Evaluate goal progress at regular intervals.
• Participate in program meetings, review and share caseload information.
• Exercise flexibility with scheduling and manage crisis situations.
• Collaborate with external agencies/professionals and service providers involved with individuals to develop and improve community access and services.
• Administrative duties including assessments, reporting, record keeping, etc. as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!