Join the world's largest humanitarian network. Come help and make a difference with the Canadian Red Cross. A unique experience within an organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable people in Canada and abroad and providing recognized training in health and safety. Your opportunity to be part of the solution with instant impact in the context of the current health crisis.
As an Emergency Care Worker, you could be assigned to a wide variety of operations. You will be provided with detailed role description and expectations with each assignment. Assignments may be in your local community, but willingness to travel within province or nationally will provide more opportunities to engage in operations.
Who you are:
- You are a humanitarian – you have a desire to help and are willing to learn new skills
- You are a team player and relationship builder – you work well within a team and are respectful, approachable and able to develop relationships within a team
- You are client service focused – you are able to provide comfort and care, have patience in supporting clients
- You are a strong communicator – you are able to effectively communicate in a variety of ways, demonstrate active listening, and clearly explain yourself and confirm understanding from clients
- You remain calm during a crisis – you respond effectively to your own and other’s emotions, don’t take things personally, stay positive and respond decisively
- You have a strong attention to detail – you are able to work at a high level of accuracy in completing forms, giving information and completely necessary paperwork
- You are dependable – you are timely, take initiative and ownership of work, and completes tasks with little supervision.
You will enjoy:
Culture : an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality
Opportunity : to work with the best and brightest in the non-profit field, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, creativity and collaboration
Meaningful Work: you will be working front line to support the most vulnerable population during current COVID-19 pandemic.
In this role you will (as per the assigned operation):
- Support and reinforce health and safety protocols with clients, visitors and colleagues including social distancing, sanitization, wearing of personal protective equipment.
- Conduct phone calls to notify close contacts of their potential exposure; refer contacts for testing and connect them to community resources to support self-quarantine.
- Contribute toward the establishment and maintenance of safe & supportive working environments for diverse populations and incorporating cultural considerations.
- Assist in the set up, daily operation and/or closing of a reception and information, COVID testing and/or vaccination sites, both in person or virtually.
- Support other Red Cross initiatives to provide a coordinated team effort in meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in the community.
We’re looking for:
- 1-3 years experience in customer service, community development, case work or social services; or a suitable combination of education and experience is preferred.
- A High School diploma is required
- Passion and ability to work with people in need many of whom may be seniors.
- Able to foster a trusting connection and work as part of a team through collaboration, communication, mutual understanding and respect.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency (speaking, reading and writing) in English is essential; fluency in French is required based on province of work and a second language may be beneficial, but not required.
- Current First Aid Certification or willingness to take training is an asset.
- Able to travel within province and potentially within Canada is desired.
- Experience as a volunteer, in an emergency or client care environment and/or knowledge of Red Cross is a definite asset
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances in a fast-paced environment
- In some roles, computer literacy, comfort working with data bases and MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- In some roles, the work will be done virtually therefore will require reliable access to a computer, high speed internet, a phone and a private, secure workspace
- Must be able to complete a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC)
- Depending on the operation, specific roles are required to pass confidential Health Screening and COVID testing
The majority of work will be performed in a fast-paced, changing environment with strict infection control practices, including the requirement to wear PPE.
Duration : Up to 6 month contracts
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process