Family Support Worker (Full time) - Lac La Biche
Job Number: J0321-0693
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Lac La Biche, Alberta
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 40 hours a week - 8 hours per day but must be flexible in order to accommodate evening and weekend home visits, supervised visits, and travel.
Compensation: $26.25 - $33.39/hr
Closing Date: Until successful candidate hired
Work directly with families, youth and children in Lac La Biche, AB and the surrounding community as an Family Support Worker. As primary caseworker, you will counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families. Our program structure is one that our staff will become the compass point for the family and others involved in the case.
Lac La Biche is a hamlet in Alberta, located approximately 220 km northeast of the provincial capital of Edmonton, on the southern shore of Lac la Biche. With more than 100 lakes and over 1,300 beach-side campsites and cabins, offering 70% of Alberta’s Class A beaches, the Lac La Biche region is a little piece of paradise in northeast Alberta.
The Family Support Worker is responsible for facilitating planned interventions and services aimed at strengthening and preserving families by providing home-based, family-centered services to promote the protection and well-being of children in their homes, as well as support and educate parents toward improvements in their parenting abilities. The Family Support Worker reports to the Program Manager.
Working a flexible schedule, the Family Support Worker will work regular office hours, as well as some evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility during evenings & weekends is required in order to accommodate home visits and supervised visits when families are together & require the most support.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker level 2.**
***Salary commensurate with years of related experience***
In Your Role You Will
• Work with youth who need intervention and are at risk of suicide or harming themselves, or youth living a lifestyle that is considered high risk ( i.e. trauma, addictions, mental health issues etc)
• Compassionately use your knowledge of child development, positive discipline strategies and family dynamics to provide education (ex. parenting skills) and support services to families in their own homes.
• Establish trusting relationships with children and families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• Provide individual and group counseling as appropriate.
• A key component of this position is supporting children and families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Conduct visits in the family home and/or community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
• Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Child and Family Services.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Liaise with Child and Family Services and other external agencies/professionals involved with families served.
• Attend regular meetings with contractors and community interagency meetings
• Promote the child and family related program services offered by the High Prairie Family Services Centre and develop initiatives to support children, youth and families.
• Follow up on closed case files to ensure continued family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience working with families in a human or family services field. Salary commensurate with years of related experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset.
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Team Meetings, Group Conferencing
• Family Finding & Engagement
• Child in Care Services
• Foster and Kinship Care and Support
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 3 weeks annual vacation and more!
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com
Or click (copy/paste into your internet browser) the link below:
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!