Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society (NAHS) is a non-profit charitable organization who develops and operates inclusive housing communities appropriate to supporting tenants in achieving and maintaining stability and wellbeing.
Founded in 1990, NAHS believes housing is a basic human right and that tenants should be treated with respect and dignity. NAHS further believes that all tenants deserve well maintained housing that is affordable, independent, safe and secure, and which promotes a sense of home and community. Visit https://nahs.ca for more information on the Society.
NAHS has a high standard expectation for this position, following the guidelines set forth by BC Housing.
Reporting to and under the direction of the Lead Groundskeeper, and in accordance with NAHS mission, strategic direction, principles and policies, the Groundskeeper’s primary responsibility is to perform the regular care, maintenance, and improvements of the grounds at NAHS operated properties. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspect grounds to identify and resolve issues; effectively plan and organize work and resources; plan and perform required landscaping, seeding, weeding, mowing, cultivating, propagating, pruning, shredding, spraying, fertilizing, watering, transplanting and plant pest and disease control activities
- Follow all WorkSafeBC regulations, NAHS safety procedures, and equipment and tool operating instructions; utilize task-appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment (e.g. eye protection, ear protection, particle masks, gloves); recognize and appropriately respond to emergency situations
- Utilize a variety of groundskeeping tools and equipment; ensure tools and equipment are maintained in safe working order; perform minor adjustments (e.g. sharpening) and report all required equipment repairs or replacements to Lead Groundskeeper
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with tenants, staff and leadership teams
- Initiate and carry out a diverse range of duties with minimal supervision; work efficiently to manage tasks, time and resources
- Demonstrate dedication to a high professional standard of personal conduct, accountability, and competence; maintain composure in stressful situations
What You Bring
An enthusiastic, helpful, positive energy directed towards carrying out a diverse range of responsibilities. An innovative, collaborative, respectful and logical approach to delivering excellence in groundskeeping. Highly developed professional communication skills with an emphasis on building and maintaining effective working relationships with leadership, colleagues, vendors, tenants and other key stakeholders. Flexibility, adaptability and capacity to positively meet the challenges and changes of a growing organization.
Preferred qualifications include:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or diploma in horticulture or related field, plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience in residential or commercial complex landscape maintenance; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience
- Demonstrated hands-on experience operating grounds-related tools, machinery and equipment
- Experience working with vulnerable populations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Highly developed interpersonal communication, problem solving, organizational and conflict resolution abilities
- Sound knowledge of safe work practices
- Specific knowledge of materials, methods, tools, equipment and best practices for landscaping and grounds maintenance
- Knowledge in plant identification and the use of appropriate methods of propagating, planting, cultivating and caring for trees, shrubs, flowers and lawns
- Superior organizational and time management skills; attention to detail
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite an asset
- Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid Driver’s Licence and Clean Driver’s Abstract; access to reliable vehicle
- Valid Occupational First Aid (OFA) Certificate an asset
- Provincial certification to apply chemical fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides and pesticides an asset
- May be required to work weekends on rare occasions (e.g. snow/ice/storm conditions)
- Fast-paced environment with heavy physical demands working outdoors in all weather