JVS Toronto is a registered charity in the social services sector providing career and employment services. Our employees make a difference affecting local communities by connecting jobseekers to employment and helping employers build their workforce in Toronto and York Region. Youth Reach II connects youth with schools, community, and businesses to help them achieve their goals. This position will help youth in York Region who have experienced, or are vulnerable to experiencing, conflict with the law to overcome barriers to success and find employment or access training/educational opportunities through self-directed job search, research, and counselling. https://www.jvstoronto.org.
Are you looking for meaningful work where you can make a noticeable difference in peoples’ lives? JVS Toronto will provide you with the opportunity to advance your career and give back to our community. To reward employees’ hard work, JVS Toronto offers a paid vacation allowance, health, vision, & dental benefits, an employee assistance program (EAP), and corporate discounts.
Employment Counsellor, Job ID #8036
Youth Reach II
Full-time / Temporary 1-year contract with possibility of renewal / Starting ASAP / Markham
We’re looking for someone who will:
• Conduct intensive outreach to recruit eligible clients and run offsite intakes on a daily basis to ensure program targets are met
• Provide excellent customer service by helping youth clarify needs and determine actions/solutions through assessment, case management, and counselling
• Provide individual employment counselling and case management duties, including information and referral services, monitor client progress with ongoing follow-up; produce statistical documentation
• Prepare and facilitate employability workshops; conduct program information sessions to community partners
• Develop ongoing community partnerships and establish referral pathways
• Carry out some job development activities to place and connect youth with youth-serving organizations and employment opportunities
• Collaborate with other JVS programs/services to enhance client employment pathways and service plans
• Maintain complete, updated files, case notes, and documentation on a Salesforce database
Flexible hours / evenings / weekends may be required for this position.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling or Social Services with placement experience, or a related degree with 3-5 years of counselling experience. International degrees must be evaluated for Canadian equivalency.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of current legislation relevant to youth who are in conflict with the law and the Youth Criminal Justice System
• An understanding of barriers to employment success and knowledge of current local labour market trends, community services and resources
• Ability to take innovative and resourceful approaches to assisting youth in achieving their goals
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to deal effectively with youth from different cultural/racial backgrounds and/or with special needs and engage a wide range of individuals and personalities in the employment counselling process
• Current working knowledge of employment-related issues
• Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare and write reports to agency standards
• Detail oriented; effective organization and time management skills
• Computer literate; the ability to learn systems used by the agency (i.e. Salesforce)
• A clear Police Vulnerable Sector check is required for this position
Our ideal candidate will also have:
• Youth employment/community services knowledge and exposure
• Employment Ontario knowledge
• Knowledge of a second language
• Certification from an institution such as VRA Canada or ICCI
• Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle as this position requires travel throughout York Region
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!