This position requires union membership.
Compensation is in accordance with Appendix A of the BCGEU Collective Agreement.
Administrative Assistant 4 (JJEP Grid 12)
The Core Services Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the delivery and co-ordination of all telephone and reception duties, and administrative and clerical duties pertaining to Community Services and the Society.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that all guest and recreation areas such the entrances, lobby, washrooms, lunch rooms and meetings rooms are guest-ready, well-stocked and inviting.
- Welcomes visitors warmly and attends to their needs. Assists clients and staff with inquiries and information.
- Maintains a working knowledge of community social services, resource persons and a wide range of community issues and initiatives, and dispenses this information to callers and visitors.
- Helps maintain building security by issuing, checking and collecting security badges. Screens visitors as required and maintains a visitor log. Issues and tracks building keys and master keys.
- Provides typing, filing, photocopying, and related office support for Core Services and the Society in a confidential manner. Operates a variety of office equipment such as computers, printers, copiers and fax machines. Ensures copiers and other shared equipment are business-ready daily. Orders toners and contacts repair persons as required.
- Co-ordinates various office support services including scheduling of regular inspections and maintenance, purchasing office supplies, maintaining inventory of supplies including OCS apparel and SWAG.
- Coordinates Agency Health & Safety (H & S) documents, H & S Reporting and Minutes.
- As time permits, provides additional office support to program managers and staff.
- Assists with updating all manuals, directories, employee packages and organizing special events. Forwards Housing Lists.
- Opens and distributes the mail as directed by the Executive Director or designate. Processes outgoing mail.
- Updates and distributes Carole Wahl and Leadership Team phone lists.
- Receives and distributes donations to clients and programs.
- Receipts all incoming monies and to assist the Finance Office in the handling of funds including the disbursement of petty cash in accordance with Society’s Finance Policy.
- Registers and records all cheques that are processed by the Society in accordance with Society’s Finance Policy.
- Participates in assigned department/interdepartmental meetings.
- Adheres to the policies and standards as established in policy and program manuals, Health & Safety Guidelines, job descriptions, written memos, and verbal agreements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Business Office Training Diploma or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three (3) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills; typing speed of 50+ words per minute.
- Experience in handling reception duties and multi-line phone systems.
- Responsible, self-motivated, detail oriented and ability to multi task.
- Experience with computers, including basic word processing and Excel.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Certificate is an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Professional etiquette.
- Ability to operate switchboard and other office equipment.
- High degree of flexibility and initiative.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as part of a staff team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must be sensitive to and respectful of cultural and lifestyle diversity.
- On occasion may be required to drive the employee’s personally owned vehicle for job-related purposes (no OCS client may be transported in the employee’s vehicle).
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.