POSITION: Director, Shaw Family Foundation
LOCATION: Flexible within Canada, Calgary preferred
POSITION DETAILS: Full Time, Permanent
REPORTS TO: President
Organized in 1970, The Shaw Family Foundation (the Foundation) is growing and expanding its reach to support organizations serving a broad range of needs within Canada and internationally. Initially set up to provide funds for religious, charitable, and educational groups, the Foundation is looking to help create positive impact in addressing wider areas of community need in the 21st century.
The Shaw Family Foundation is seeking an inspiring, hands-on leader to expand on the Foundation’s legacy, including developing a mission statement and increasing its impact in a wide range of communities.
The preferred candidate will have a compelling mix of experiences, skills, personal characteristics, and motivation to lead, manage, and advance the Foundation’s initiatives, grant-making, evaluation, and civic engagement.
Serving as the Foundation’s primary spokesperson. The Director will inspire confidence with both external and internal audiences while demonstrating superior leadership, management, and communication skills.
The Director will be responsible for developing and implementing programs to enable the achievement of the Foundation's overall mission, supporting the governance of the Board, facilitating employee engagement in philanthropy and managing a committed and shared team by working alongside the team in the Shaw Family office.
A Strategic Leader & Visionary
The Director is a strategic visionary and humble leader who, in partnership with the President and board, sets and clearly articulates the future for the Foundation.
The Director will keenly understand the potential of a foundation to use its leadership status and grant-making in combination to positively impact a community.
The Director is a spokesperson for the Foundation, sharing its mission, helping to expand the institution’s role more broadly. The Director will be a warm, engaging communicator who brings a passion for articulating the values of the Foundation to the community and a genuine interest in connecting with the many stakeholders of the Foundation.
The Director will have exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and sustain strong support across a wide range of stakeholders, including grantees, the Board, staff, elected officials and the larger community.
The Director will develop a powerful sense of a common purpose in others and motivate them to engage in the work of the Foundation. The Director will lead the Foundation to achieve philanthropic goals with existing and potential donees, inspiring confidence and generating buy-in and support.
- Achieve Shaw Family Foundation’s objectives, fulfill its mission and maximize sustainability, while achieving its short-and long-range strategies.
- Work with the Foundation Board to advance the current goals and objectives of the Foundation and bring fresh ideas and innovation to drive impact.
- Operational leadership for the philanthropic strategic direction of the Foundation, while working with the financial, legal, accounting and team members providing a successful outcome.
- Report regularly to the Board President on the Foundation’s activities and progress, providing thorough and insightful information to make sound policy and programmatic decisions.
- Keep the Board informed on a regular basis, providing updates on grant-making milestones and impact.
- Seek out new and innovative approaches to community impact and ways to generate increased philanthropic resources for key initiatives.
- Work with charities on application submissions and reporting expectations.
- Educate charitable applicants in adherence to goals and objectives of the approved funds; provide advice and direction on exceeding them.
- Oversee day-to-day program and grant-making assessment, with consideration of ways to increase their impact.
- Play a leadership role in the community in identifying, communicating and seeking ways of addressing issues of widespread community concern. Promote the Foundation as a thought leader, convener and community leader.
- Be a positive and professional advocate of the Foundation at events and in ways that enhance its image and increase awareness of its activities. Build networks that advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Oversee the Foundation’s marketing and communication plans, improving newsletter circulation and social media presence.
- Anticipate and stay current on trends and issues in business, society and philanthropy as they relate to and inform the Foundation’s mission.
- Promote Shaw Family Foundation’s culture of integrity, inclusiveness, transparency and respect in which innovation, calculated risk-taking, creativity and shared leadership are valued.
- Create and encourage a close-knit, collegial, and participatory work environment where trust and open communication are valued with the Shaw Family office.
- Minimum five to ten years of senior leadership in the philanthropic sector, with an understanding of the culture and dynamics of a family foundation.
- The ability to lead with influence, humility and inspiration to achieve the Foundation’s goals.
- An understanding of family legacies and family office structure.
- A passion for wanting to make a difference.
- Ability to translate ideas into action with effective planning and measurable results.
- Sound financial and accounting control practices; ability to plan for the financial needs of the Foundation.
- Astute business acumen, with an eye to organizational detail and oversight.
- Proven and successful experience in relationship development and external relations.
- Experience reporting to and working with a Board.
- Can effectively communicate whether with large established charities or smaller, community-based organizations.
- A confident public speaker with outstanding communications skills, verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive, inclusive work environment.
- Relevant undergraduate/graduate degree or experiential equivalent.
- Dynamic, thoughtful, entrepreneurial, creative, and adaptive.
- A strategic, long-term thinker and leader.
- Mission oriented in achieving an organization's goals.
- Forward-thinking and driven to uncover new approaches and ideas for the Foundation to consider.
- Results-oriented with an entrepreneurial bent and the ability to deliver ideas.
- Flexible with an ability to adapt, pivot and improvise as circumstances change.
- Ability to generate buy-in, solidarity, and support from a broad range of potential partners.
- High emotional intelligence; an excellent listener who seeks to include all stakeholders, from donees to Board members, family office staff, and community leaders.
- Engenders trust, with a commitment to consultation and consensus-building.
- A capable manager who balances the demands of the role and holds high professional standards as well as personal integrity.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A competitive compensation package will be offered, complete with salary and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by email with your cover letter and resume by no later than May 15th, 2021. Send to: SFF@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
The Shaw Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome qualified candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.