Job ID: 21-005EJHS
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Professional growth and learning
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Part Time Health Spending Account (based on minimum number of hours)
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
The LOFT provides short term supportive housing (approximately 6 months) for 6 males between the ages of 16-24 who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of being homeless. Part Time Youth Workers provide on-going day to day support to the youth residing at The LOFT. Through the use of positive role modeling and effective communication skills, Part Time Workers assist The LOFT youth in increasing their skills towards independence.
Conditions of Employment:
This position requires:
- the successful candidate to work shift work – including holidays, weekends, evenings, and awake overnight shifts and be available for a minimum of 4 shifts per month. The hours of work are 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm–7am shifts.
- frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional lifting.
The starting hourly wage is $18 per hour. Shift differential will be paid for hours worked between midnight and 6 am.
- Completion of accurate written daily documentation
- Delivery of services in a client centered, strength based approach
- Build collaborative relationships with youth and support youth to achieve their individual goal plans
- Role model and assist youth with self-advocacy, life skills, social skills, communication and conflict resolution
- Encourage youth to engage in healthy lifestyle alternatives
- Transparently address current challenges with youth
- Maintain a safe, secure, and clean environment
- Build positive relationships with related community agencies / partners
- Contribute to a positive culture by assisting and supporting colleagues
- Practice agency mission, vision, values and guiding principles
- Participate in unit staff meetings
Qualifications / Skills:
- Working towards a diploma or degree in a related Human Services field
- 6 months experience working with youth
- Knowledge of harm reduction, addictions and strength based philosophy
- Strong communication and pro-social relationship building skills
- Able to work independently and effectively deal with crisis situations
- Able to work shift work including weekends, holidays and awake overnights
- General computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Record Check
Safety and harmony in our community
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds