Save the Children Canada is a member of Save the Children International, a federation that works in more than 119 countries worldwide delivering programs focused on health and nutrition, education, child protection, child poverty, humanitarian response, and child rights governance. As the world's leading independent organization for children, Save the Children’s vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development, and participation. This position is responsible for providing support to the Controller in maintaining accurate and up-to-date financial records for the organization. This position is responsible but not limited to accounts payable, reconciliation of cash receipts and disbursement processes.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for month-end and year-end period close processes.
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile transactions.
- Produce error-free accounting reports and results.
- Analyze financial information and summaries financial status, making recommendations.
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned responsibilities.
- Review and support employee travel expenses, and timely processing for payment through payroll
- Fixed asset processing and reporting.
- Maintain prepaid schedules and ensure accuracy of booking GL entries.
- Analyze financial statements on a monthly basis, identifying issues and recommending solutions.
- Adhere to all regulatory guidance and internal policies & procedures.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliation for assigned accounts to ensure accuracy of financial results.
- Contribute to organizational and Department special projects as assigned.
- Review invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment, matching documents and proof of receipt.
- Maintain master list of company credit card owners and limits.
- Audit and process credit card bills, ensuring payment is processed on time.
- Process cheque requisitions, matching invoices and obtaining signatures.
- Respond to vendor inquiries.
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies.
- Assist in month end closing.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices.
- Assist with other projects as needed.
- Generate Payment proposal for approval.
- Disbursement run and prepare for approval of Wire transfer, Bill payment and EFT.
- Maintain accurate accounts payable and expense statement files to ensure audit readiness.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank deposits and corresponding cash receipt journal entries
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliation.
- Provide controller with cash status including restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Reconciliation of donor receipts to bank deposits.
- Manage Petty Cash, reconciliation and reimbursement.
- Prepare the continuity schedule of all investments and provide Resource Development of securities received.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment, ensuring compliance to policies and accurate coding.
- Ensure timely booking of expenses for reimbursement.
- Maintain accurate expense claims files to ensure audit readiness.
- Assist with annual external audit and DOI examination.
- Assist in preparing assigned schedules for the annual and interim audit.
- Support Payroll function as needed during absences.
Qualifications & Competencies (include but are not limited to):
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in finance and accounting.
- Completion of University Degree in Finance and accounting.
- Working Knowledge of Excel word.
- Power Bi knowledge is an asset.
- Exposure to ERP systems and use of Accounts payable module (Agresso system is an asset).
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures.
- Adhere to Child Safeguarding policies & procedures.
- Police Check and Vulnerable Sector screening.
HOW TO APPLY?
If you are interested in this position, please visit https://www.savethechildren.ca/ and submit your resume and cover letter by April 16, 2021. Internal candidates, please apply via ADP by 5 pm on April 12, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on ongoing basis. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCC is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources (416) 221-5501 ext. 262.