Date Posted: April 1, 2021
Position Title: Director, Facility Services
Location: Royal Avenue YMCA (#10 – 620 Royal Avenue, New Westminster)
Travel to facilities within the portfolio is required
Terms: Permanent, Full-Time
Start Date: May 3, 2021
Salary: Under review, includes benefits
Reports to: Vice President, Asset Development
The YMCA cares about raising healthy and resilient kids, ensuring youth feel confident and supported, and helping people feel healthy and connected to others in the community. As the Lower Mainland's largest operational charity, our staff and volunteers provide vital community services that have a positive impact on some of the community's most pressing social issues.
We’ve been a part of the Lower Mainland for more than 130 years––a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to reach their potential. Serving 120,000 people annually, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides programs and services in health and fitness, aquatics, child care, camp, employment, education and training, child and family development, immigrant services, global initiatives, youth leadership development and health management. In all things, we align our activities with our values:
- Do the right thing - We are caring, respectful, honest and responsible in all we do
- Put people first - We believe in the strengths, perspectives and passion of people
- Keep our promises -We do what we say we will do
- Lead by example -We are courageous, speak with conviction, listen attentively and collaborate
Nature & Scope:
The Director of Facility Services reports to the VP, Asset Development and provides leadership to the operation and maintenance of the YMCA Facility Portfolio in accordance with YMCA service standards and the Jurisdiction having Authority.
- Provides oversight and support to the operation of complex buildings and systems
- Develops association preventative and capital maintenance plans and supports delivery of Facility Services across the association
- Develops and manages renovation and capital maintenance projects as assigned
Work is complex and requires industry expertise, business acumen and organizational knowledge. Work is performed with general authority and individuals primarily achieve results through others.
- Plans and identifies resource needs and liaises with Recruitment for hiring of new staff
- Ensures new employees and volunteers receive role and program specific orientation and training
- Coaches, develops and supports employees and volunteers to achieve excellence in service delivery
- Provides ongoing management of employee and volunteer performance and completes reviews within required process timeframes
- Deals with performance issues using the required steps in the discipline process, up to and including termination
Planning & Executing
- Participates in program planning sessions, develops Facility Operation & Maintenance policy and procedures in support of YMCA program delivery objectives
- Develops association and membership centre maintenance and cleaning standards, including procurement requirements. Manages implementation of maintenance and cleaning programs including trade and contractor procurement and contract management.
- Works collaboratively with membership center General Managers and Facility Managers and assists with the development of preventative and life cycle maintenance plans and budgets annually.
- Develops annual operating budgets and targets for association facility operations including renovation and refurbishment projects.
- Manages approved budget and monitors and tracks expenditures to targets to evaluate effectiveness of building operations and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external stakeholders, suppliers and contractors to meet service requirements.
- Communicates with stakeholders and addresses issues and concerns as required.
- Participates in and supports Association-wide initiatives and fundraising events.
- Provides leadership to the operation and maintenance of YMCA owned properties in accordance with YMCA service standards.
- Provides oversight and support to the operation of complex buildings and systems including Life Safety systems, HVAC, mechanical and electrical systems, swimming pools, whirlpool/hot tubs, building envelope and roofing systems.
- Develops and manages preventative maintenance programs for buildings and systems. Directs and coordinates all relevant trades and contractors for major repairs and maintenance performed on equipment, building systems, refurbishment and capital projects, as required.
- Develops contract services quality standards and manages contract compliance and performance.
- Provides oversight and manages the CMMS system
- Coordinates with membership centre staff with respect to scheduling, delegation, logistics and budgeting to ensure the successful delivery of facility services.
- Develop and supports building system documentation, operating instructions, systems checklists, emergency plans and procedures and maintenance plans.
- Supports General Manager Membership to manage and implement emergency plans, WHMIS and OH&S programs in accordance with WorksafeBC requirements.
- University degree, trade certificate or advanced building operation training in relevant discipline
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with HVAC, online building management systems, security systems, and fire and life safety systems.
- Demonstrated ability to manage trades and contractors for cleaning and maintenance contracts.
- Minimum of five years related experience.
- Well-developed relationship skills and experience providing customer service to public
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Internet and Google Mail.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license and business use of vehicle.
- First Aid, CPR and WHIMIS training
- Physical requirements include climbing ladders to effect repairs or access roof areas, ability to lift heavy objects/materials, perform routine repair and refurbishment tasks, and the ability to work alone.
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Evolve in Professional Capability – Commit to being better
- Achieve Excellence and Authenticity – Show up with the best version of you
- Develop the Potential in Others – Help people grow and lead
- Create a Culture of Connection – Build bridges between people and partners
- Think and Act Strategically – Make good decisions and act on them
- Make an Intentional Impact – Advance the strength and cause of the Y