Reports to: Clothes and Collectibles Store Manager
Mission and Vision
The mission of the West End Seniors’ Network (WESN) is to enhance the quality of life of older adults by providing social, recreational, educational and supportive programs and services that foster connection and inclusion in the broader community.
The vision of WESN is a Vancouver community that supports and empowers older adults to live involved, healthy and fulfilling lives.
Founded in 1979, WESN provides a range of programs and services for older adults in the West End, Coal Harbour and Yaletown neighbourhoods of Vancouver. WESN has over 950 members and three locations:
- Barclay Manor (1447 Barclay Street)
- Kay’s Place (Denman Place Mall, 118-1030 Denman Street)
- Clothes and Collectibles Thrift Boutique (Denman Place Mall, 110-1030 Denman Street)
The Clothes and Collectibles Thrift Boutique provides affordable, quality second-hand merchandise, as well as volunteer opportunities and social opportunities for older adults. All proceeds fund WESN programs and services.
The Supervisor helps to oversee the day-to-day operation of the Clothes and Collectibles Thrift Boutique as described below. Responsibilities include all implied duties of running Clothes and Collectibles in the absence of the Manager. Retail functions include all cash management duties, merchandising, and assisting customers. Back room functions include efficiently and accurately processing donations and preparing products for the sales floor.
Duties and Responsibilities
Store Management and Operations
- Supervise day-to-day operations
- Maintain a high level of customer service and customer satisfaction
- Maintain positive relationships with donors
- Operate the cash register and perform open/close and cash in/out procedures
- Receive, sort, price, stock and monitor inventory (and maintain appropriate related procedures)
- Appraise donations as required
- Keep the store clean and attractive
- Keep the storage areas clean and organized
- Maintain awareness of safety and security for volunteers and customers
- Respond to phone inquiries
- Supervise and support volunteers
- Assist with volunteer training, tracking volunteer statistics, and volunteer appreciation and recognition activities
- Support the Manager by consistently implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Assist with website edits, social media account management (Facebook, Instagram and Hootsuite) and e-commerce
- Attend volunteer team meetings and take meeting minutes as requested
- Participate in WESN staff meetings
- Support WESN events as required
- Carry out other duties as assigned
Experience, Education and Training
- Experience in retail and sales, including POS and handling cash
- Experience with merchandise appraisal is an asset
- Experience working with older adults with a range of physical and cognitive abilities is an asset
- Experience supervising volunteers is an asset
- Personal experience as a volunteer is an asset
- Experience in the community-based not-for-profit sector is an asset
- First Aid, CPR and AED training is an asset
- Class 5 driver licence is an asset
- Proficient with computer programs, including Microsoft Office
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Work collaboratively with other WESN staff, programs and services
- Promote teamwork and cooperation
- Assess quality and value of second-hand merchandise
- Handle cash and receipts effectively and accurately
- Present a professional and welcoming image to customers, volunteers, donors and members
- Proactive, flexible and positive when presented with a new task or challenge
- Remain calm and think clearly in stressful situations
- Work efficiently in close quarters with others
- Stand for long periods of time
- Lift bags and boxes up to 50 lbs.
- Effective sales practices
- Issues and challenges older adults may experience
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal record check including the vulnerable sector.
- Hours of work are flexible depending on operational requirements, but normal working hours are scheduled between 9:30 am to 7:00 pm, Monday to Saturday. Willingness to work evenings and weekends is essential.
- NOTE: This position is not suitable for a student.