Reports to: Vice-President, Corporate Services
Location: Our head office is located in Ottawa, Ontario, however we welcome remote work outside Ottawa or a blend of onsite/work from home if the candidate is from the Ottawa area. Note that all staff are currently working from home and no travel is permitted. We are continually reassessing during the pandemic.
Under the guidance and direction of the Vice-President, Corporate Services the Contract Specialist is responsible for a range of services that support organization wide procurement and contracting activities according to corporate policies. The priority activities of the Contract Specialist are to manage the drafting, process and execution of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), purchase of service contracts, and agreements (e.g. contribution, collaboration, memorandum of understanding, licensing, research and letters of agreement) for all Healthcare Excellence Canada (HEC) activities and programming.
Your core responsibilities would include:
- Leading and coordinating the development, drafting, review, negotiation, signature, and enforcement of RFPs, contracts, and agreements for all HEC activities, according to internal procurement policies and guidelines.
- Consulting and working in collaboration with internal staff, vendors, external stakeholders and partners for the development and execution of procurement activities, contracts and agreements.
- Acting as the liaison with legal counsel and senior management when decisions are required.
- Updating and maintaining purchase of service individual tracking sheets.
- Communicating corporate vision to suppliers to enable suppliers to work as service partners.
Education and experience you will need to have:
- Relevant undergraduate degree or diploma in Business, Legal or related field, or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive experience in a similar function.
- Experience or knowledge of business and contract law, including intellectual property, indemnity, insurance, liability, waivers, and contract management.
- Experience in reading, interpreting, and drafting legal documents.
- Experience integrating technology into procurement operations.
- Knowledge of most recent procurement practices and processes.
- Adept at assessing and controlling risks. Makes evidence-based decisions when assuming, avoiding, transferring, mitigating, sharing, and compensating elements of risks.
- Experience developing processes for continuous improvement/refinement of processes relating to elements of contract lifecycle.
And even better if…
- You have five (5) years or more progressive experience in a similar function.
- You are bilingual in French and English (English and French communication skills at the Advanced “C” level).
You will be a great fit for this role if you have:
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal and oral communication skills including experience developing and maintaining partnerships and networks of stakeholders.
- Excellent project management skills including the ability to plan and carry out broad assignments often involving collaborative efforts, ensuring their timely completion.
- Complex problem-solving skills requiring probing for information to determine the nature of the problem; developing unique solutions; comprehension of highly complex material.
- Advanced software skills including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, electronic mail, and calendaring.
- A high degree of tact and diplomacy to deal with high profile external contacts.
- Strong organizational skill and attention to detail.
Healthcare Excellence Canada (HEC) is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.