The Kettle Society supports people with mental illness to lead healthier lives by providing support services, advocacy, employment, mentoring and housing. We work to raise awareness of mental health issues, break down stigma and reduce barriers for people with mental illness. Our goal is to promote inclusion of people living with mental illness in all aspects of society.
Position: Financial Services Assistant
Organization: The Kettle Friendship Society
Address: 1784 E. Hastings, Vancouver, BC V5L 1S9
Status: Permanent, Part-Time (30 hours a week) from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
Salary & Compensation: Salary depends on experience. We offer a comprehensive employer-paid benefit plan including Extended Medical and Dental coverage, and a Municipal Pension Plan (MPP).
Processes accounts payable and accounts receivable. Provides general clerical support for Accounting. Maintains related records and files.
TYPICAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes accounts payable by receiving invoices, statements for services rendered, and other instructions and billing documents. Prepares client rent payments to landlords. Examines to verify necessary authorizations; ensures account codes are correct; notes payee data and verifies arithmetical accuracy. Reconciles to vendor account records and re-calculates payment amount according to established procedures. Enters information into accounting system on a weekly basis, generates cheques for vendors and forwards cheques for signature. Maintains related records and files.
- Responds to inquiries regarding accounts payable be reviewing account records and files and following-up with staff or vendors as required. Re-issues cheques accounting to established procedures.
- Processes payments received by cash, cheques and credit cards for rent, tenant damage, donations, benefit payments and fundraising events. Prepares deposits by recording the account codes and entering payees into a spreadsheet. Prepares a bank deposit spreadsheet on a weekly basis. Maintains related records and files.
- Assists Accountant by performing duties such as reconciliation of accounts receivable and payables. Tracks expenses for grants, insurance claims, gaming accounts and tenant damage.
- Assists Accountant in annual audit preparation by compiling information as requested and performing year-end inventory physical counting.
- As requested by department managers, creates invoices for services to be billed to outside parties, such as for contracted services, SEED projects, personnel file.
- Performs a variety of general clerical tasks such as setting up and maintaining filing systems, archiving accounting records according to a set schedule, composing routine correspondence or notes of action taken, photocopying, scanning and faxing. Maintains an inventory of office supplies and ensures office equipment is in working order, contacting service technicians as necessary.
- Provides relief to the Financial Services Assistant - AR position. Also performs routine clerical tasks associated with maintaining the donation program database, supporting fundraising and marketing events, and maintaining the centralized supply inventory.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures related to accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Working knowledge of accounting software such as SAGE/ACCPAC.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Ability to apply basic bookkeeping and routine statistical principles, practices and techniques.
- Ability to make routine arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and document actions taken.
- Ability to proofread and edit for errors in input and arithmetical computation.
- Ability to keyboard with accuracy.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Education & Experience:
Graduation from high school supplemented with additional courses in accounting or business administration plus three years of recent, related experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
To ensure the safety of our employees, The Kettle has implemented Covid-19 protocols such as social distancing, providing PPE to staff and having hand sanitizer readily available. Our Covid-19 committee stays current and proactive.
We offer competitive wages, a comprehensive employer-paid benefit plan for full-time and part-time staff including Extended Medical and Dental coverage, and to those who are eligible, the Municipal Pension Plan (MPP)
Check us out at www.thekettle.ca