Harvest Project is recognized as a community-leading organization, currently bringing life-changing resources to hundreds of North Shore residents in their journeys towards a healthier life. Our dedicated staff and volunteers bring transformative change into the lives of vulnerable people.
Who We Are
Since 1993 Harvest Project has been reaching out to North Shore residents who are experiencing extreme challenges with family break-down, illness, job loss, and poverty. Our founder began Harvest Project as an expression of his Christian faith: to help those in poverty, to care for marginalized people, and to seek justice for neighbours in need. Today, we continue this vision as we bring a deep commitment to love our neighbours (“extending a hand up”). Visit www.harvestproject.org.
Due to an upcoming retirement, we are seeking an Administrator to join our collaborative, dynamic and enjoyable team. Reporting to the Executive Director, and providing support to staff, you will be responsible for providing quality and efficient support in areas of administration, accounting, human resources, and IT. You will connect with a variety of stakeholders including donors, accountant, bookkeeper, volunteers, technology provider, general public, Board of Directors, and Canada Revenue.
Donor and Financial Processing (50% of role)
- Code all financial and in-kind donations; oversee data entry, issue donor tax receipts.
- Reconcile donor reports for the bookkeeper and deposit donations.
- Administer vendor accounts: invoicing, coding and payments; issue cheques/credit card payments.
- Maintain, issue and reconcile petty cash, and reconcile bank statements monthly.
- Complete fiscal & calendar year-end preparations and reports for the E.D. & Board of Directors.
- Prepare communications and financial reports to support the Executive Director and staff.
- Maintain the accuracy and security of HP Donors/Volunteers databases
- Train and supervise administrative data entry volunteers to maintain updated databases for donations, volunteer hours, and donor contacts.
- Prepare materials, records and reports for staff and the AGM.
- Write and send appreciation letters and charitable receipts to donors.
Human Resources (5%)
- Onboard new employees for payroll, business cards, name tags, employee benefits, overview of computer system, and Harvest Project security procedures.
- Reconcile monthly benefit invoices before posting; assist with Payroll if required.
- Coordinate computer username and password setup and email address setup by the Harvest IT provider.
- Complete admin and human resources steps when an employee or volunteer leaves.
- Liaise with the Accountant/Bookkeeper for banking, payroll, benefits, vacation, and leaves.
Managing IT and Office Systems (10%)
- Point of contact for ensuring that computers and network systems work cohesively.
- Troubleshoot computer issues, liaise with IT service provider, record and address frequent problems and research potential solutions
- Coordinate updates to donor database and troubleshoot database issues.
- Maintain office equipment, devices and inventory listings; arrange service/repairs of equipment, phone system, security and computer equipment, research new equipment/vendors as needed
- Update security provider regarding new employees, distribute keys and codes, and maintain records.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Certificate in Business Administration and a minimum of three years of directly related administrative management, bookkeeping, and IT support experience. Work experience in a non-profit organization is a definite asset, with knowledge and passion for Harvest Project’s work. This role requires a criminal record check and vulnerable sector search.
Administration and Finance
- Solid knowledge of charitable administrative and clerical procedures, and business administration principles, including basic/fundamental bookkeeping skills and knowledge of lawful regulations.
- Solid skills to research and prepare complex adhoc, fiscal & calendar year-end reports.
- Ability to complete detailed and complex work with full accuracy and within set deadlines.
- Sound organizational & time management, work independently, develop effective work methods.
- Sound supervisory skills covering orienting, directing, motivating and recognizing others.
- Ability to work independently, and as a team contributor and resource with all stakeholders.
- Displays excellent interpersonal skills including using diplomacy in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Solid, professional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Solid knowledge and skill level in Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, internet and databases.
- Intermediate knowledge of computer systems, networking, peripherals and ability to troubleshoot & liaise with IT service provider. You also have an interest to learn new software applications.
- Ability to prepare and format letters, reports, spreadsheets, meeting notes and other documents.