Are you passionate about social justice, collaboration and innovation? Are you an organized and detailed problem solver who effectively multi tasks by using your in-depth technical knowledge of managing a household? The Life Skills Coordinator role could be the next step in your career if you identify as being a culinary mastermind and have a willingness to share your household organizational secrets!
You will create a safe home environment for 10 residents who due to past histories of trauma and related mental illness and additions require enhanced levels of housing support. By utilizing non-judgmental, harm reduction, trauma informed and natural law approaches, you will focus on: modelling meaningful daily activity, cooking delicious meals, discovering residents’ own skills and knowledge, and initiating opportunities to guide residents with basic skills needed to maintain a safe and clean environment.
Hours: 4 shifts on 4 shifts off from 8:00am to 5:00pm
Why Join Our Team
- Empower people through meaningful opportunities and positively impact those we walk alongside.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities and supervisory coaching sessions to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role and duties.
- Connect with a variety of stakeholders – team members, residents, general public and community members to build and model positive neighbor relations.
- Full-time position includes: health, dental, sick days, an employee assistance program, and other work related benefits.
In Your Role You Will
- Teach and model life skills in the home with residents including: cooking, meal planning, grocery shopping, transportation education, time management, money management, problem solving, healthy relationships, medication administration and cleaning.
- Plan and prepare meals in accordance with residents’ preferences in alignment with the Canada Food Guide and licensing requirements.
- Maintain food inventory and kitchen supplies in adherence to the food budget.
- Create life skills learning opportunities with residents and Wellness Team related to special occasions and wellness programming.
- Clean and maintain household to ensure compliance with all legislation, bylaws and standards.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team regarding: progress of residents, changes in behavior, and challenges that residents may be experiencing.
- Administer medication for all residents.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community stakeholders and act as a point of contact for the community.
Education and Certifications
- Diploma in the area of human services, social services, education and/or a related discipline.
- Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Intervention Record Check.
- Required (or willingness to obtain): First Aid and CPR, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Food Safety Training.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, Proof of Vehicle Registration and Vehicle Insurance (with 2 million dollar liability coverage), 3 Year Driver’s abstract and access to reliable vehicle.
- 3 years of related direct service work experience with diverse communities with varying and complex priorities and needs.
- Previous experience with household management, cleaning, nutrition, meal preparation and grocery shopping is an asset.
- Working knowledge and experience with harm reduction, person-centered, trauma-informed, behavior modification, natural law, strength based, collaborative, and/or solution focused practice.
- Proven ability to foster a team environment.
- Personal lived experience of addictions, mental illness, racism, discrimination, poverty is an asset.
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships.