Position Purpose summary:
Reporting to the Manager of Emergency Shelters, The Shelters Operations Manager is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operations of all Harbour Light Emergency Shelters, including staffing, equipment, supplies and inventory, and client relations.
· Supervision of Emergency Shelters operations and Shelter Workers in accordance with Harbour Light policies and consistent with the collective agreement with the British Columbia Government & Service Employees Union
· Participates in the development and application of Shelter policies and operations
· Able to demonstrate professionalism and commitment to TSA Operating Principles for Shelters
· Plays a lead role in the hiring, the training, coaching, and mentoring of Shelters workers
· Conducts regularly scheduled staff and supervisory meetings.
· Conducts annual performance evaluations of shelter workers
· In conjunction with the Shelters Administrative Manager, creates Shelter staff schedules, authorizes vacations, and tracks attendance and absenteeism
· Oversees replacement coverage for absences due to illness or other reasons
· Participate and/or delegate involvement in regularly scheduled Occupational Health and Safety meetings.
· Monitors staff safety practices in compliance with health and safety standards, and prepares, submits and acts on incident reports
· Provides additional statistical and evaluative information when required
· Participate in the response to shelter client grievances and complaints
· In conjunction with Administrative Manager monitors shelter elogs, bed reports, and statistics that are generated by shelters staff
· In conjunction with Administrative Manager, monitors the ordering and delivery of shelters inventories and supplies.
· Monitors the need for shelter maintenance and repairs and communicates same to Facilities Management
· Networks and represents Harbour Light Emergency Shelters Department with community agencies and other appropriate organizations and forums
· Participates as an active member of the Harbour Light Management Team; involved in strategic planning, budgeting and program improvement initiatives
· Ensures the cleanliness, maintenance, and upkeep of the shelters and surrounding grounds
· Performs other duties as required
Qualifications and Education requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
· The successful job applicant will have completed up to two (2) years of Community College or equivalent work-related experience
· Post-secondary education in a related field would be an asset
· Current certification in First Aid/CPR (or willing to be trained)
· Criminal Record Review Program clearance
· Willingness to adhere to the Mission and Values of The Salvation Army and Vancouver Harbour Light
· Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
· Demonstrate a positive attitude towards the homeless and individuals with substance abuse and concurrent problems, including mental health concerns
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
· A valid Class 5 (or higher) BC Driver’s License and a clean driver’s abstract
HOURS: The normal work week is Tuesday – Saturday. The normal workday comprises 7 ½ paid hours and a ½ hour unpaid lunch break. Hours will typically be 8:00am – 4:00pm, but will need to be flexible to meet the needs of all areas of responsibility, given both the busy nature of this position and the fact that certain duties may have to be attended outside of core office hours.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!