COSTI REQUIRES TWO MANAGERS FOR ITS SHELTER SERVICES PROGRAM
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement,
employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI,
please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide clients with a pet friendly dwelling.
These are non-union contract positions scheduled to work 35 hours per week.
- Manages shelter operating 24 hours per day, 365 days per year with the capacity to service up to 800 clients.
- Provides direct and indirect supervision to front line service staff and management staff.
- In partnership with the General Manager and Assistant Manager, responsible for hiring, training and evaluating of Shelter staff.
- Manages and supports staff through regular performance reviews, coaching and mentoring the team effectively to meet the program goals.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships with other agencies across sectors, community groups, and government officials.
- Monitors the delivery of services at the shelter in accordance with agency contractual obligations.
- Involves with the planning and developing of new programs and in the evaluation and improvement of existing programs, to ensure quality of services meet established objectives.
- Researches, develops & prepares grant proposals for the government & other funding sources e.g. impact homelessness and poverty in the LGBTQ2S community.
- Assists in ensuring all organizational timelines are met (e.g. grant applications, monthly and quarterly reports, budgetary reviews, performance appraisals).
- Monitors and oversees annual budget of up to $3 million; monitoring and controlling expenses within the organization’s guidelines and accounting practices.
- Ensures that Health and Safety regulations are met within the legislated regulations including day to day operations and emergency procedures under City of Toronto Shelter Standards.
- Oversees interaction with residents regarding case management planning, complaints, violations, and supports provided in shelter.
- Ensures confidentiality standards are followed when handling clients’ files.
- University degree in a social science field. Preference will be given to those with a BSW.
- Three (3) years’ experience in staff supervision, Shelter program management.
- (24 hours operation), and financial management, including: evaluating, training and coaching staff.
- Experience managing an operational budget of up to $1,000,000.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective programs in the areas of: housing, mental health and addiction issues.
- Demonstrated experience working with Toronto Shelter Standards, Occupational Health and Safety regulations and Public Health guidelines as they pertain to emergency shelters and transitional housing programs.
- Understanding substance use, mental health, and harm reduction gained through direct experience.
- Excellent communication, conflict mediation and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working directly with LGBTQ2S marginalized populations and with employing community development, harm reduction or recovery approaches to service development and delivery.
- This position will require occasional evening and weekend hours, and also on call emergency response.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
- Must have a valid First Aid/ CRP certificate and previous Naloxone training.