A leader in hospice palliative care service, Hospice Waterloo Region has opened a new facility, located in North Waterloo, that provides community outreach and residence hospice services. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for Hospice Waterloo Region’s volunteer management which includes, recruitment, training, and retention activities and fosters a culture that inspires commitment and compassion among hospice volunteers. Through their leadership, the Coordinator cultivates a sense of belonging, a high level of volunteer satisfaction and a sense of community. This contributes to increased volunteer retention.
The Coordinator works as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide end of life support and care to palliative community clients, hospice residents and families. Work is performed within the framework of the mission, vision, values, and quality management of Hospice Waterloo Region (HWR) and the Coordinator demonstrates a strong understanding and commitment to hospice palliative care.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates HWR’s volunteer administration, taking the lead in volunteer recruitment, screening, training, orientation, and in-services within the framework of Hospice of Waterloo Region’s volunteer training and accreditation standards.
- Develops and implements volunteer program plans to support palliative persons needs that meet HWR’s Client Promise and Hospice Palliative Care Ontario (HPCO) accreditation standards.
- Develops and supports the onboarding and orientation process of all Non-client services volunteers (Special events, fundraising, office, gardening housekeeping, etc.).
- Provides coaching and mentoring support to volunteers.
- Organizes on-going volunteer engagement activities, education, wellness, spirituality, socials, and appreciation.
- Evaluates the impact and contributions of volunteers, and the variety of volunteer programs, to ensure the needs of all clients are being met.
- Builds and maintains positive, trusting relationships within the organization with staff, volunteers, and the community.
- Updates or writes new policies, procedures, training modules, volunteer job descriptions, monthly newsletters, volunteers updates and contributes to the Annual Report.
- Functions as a primary support contact between HWR and HPCO in matters pertaining to the quality standards of a Volunteer Visiting Hospice program and a Residential Hospice Volunteer program.
- Co-leads the HWR Volunteer Visiting HPCO Accreditation process
- Plans and participates in multi-disciplinary team meetings as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma in Health/Social Science discipline or the equivalent combination of qualifications/education.
- Certificate in Volunteer Management with experience in volunteer administration.
- Experience or understanding of end of life, hospice, palliative care is a requirement.
- 2-3 years of related experience in community health-based care or the not-for profit environment.
- 1-2 years of experience in program planning and evaluation.
- Experience or understanding of accreditation processes, HPCO, and Ontario Health Teams
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Demonstrates commitment to working in an environment with high confidentiality and discretion.
- Understands the importance of recruiting from diverse populations that have traditionally been underserved, underrepresented, or disadvantaged due to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, economics or other factors in end-of-life care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of community resources and health care services and has a proven ability to build strong relationships within these communities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to work both independently and within a team.
- Strong leadership skills, involving team-oriented planning.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to prioritize, multi-task and handle competing deadlines.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to problem solve, deal with ambiguity, adjust to rapidly changing priorities in a deadline.
- Proficient in MS Office, Excel, Teams, Zoom, Survey Monkey, Constant Contact, Canva
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically, manage and motivate a team of volunteers; foster high levels of engagement, retention and innovation.
- Proven event planning and recognition experience.