In partnership with Service Canada, Progressive Housing Society is recruiting qualified candidates between 15-30 years of age for the Summer Jobs Program 2021 initiative. The total duration of the position will be for eight (8) weeks.
EMPLOYEE CATEGORY: Full-time Term position – 37.5 Hours per week
HOURS OF WORK: Usually Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., with the possibility of evening or weekend work.
COMMENCEMENT DATE: As soon as possible.
- Interest, and field of studies in humanities, health, policy development, social services.
- Recent related work or volunteer experience with vulnerable individuals especially with homeless and at risk populations.
- Knowledge of mental illness, addictions and health issues.
- Knowledge of issues relating to poverty and building community awareness around this topic.
- Individual between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration andRefugee Protection Act
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- A valid BC driver’s license and access to personal vehicle for business related purposes.
- Successful completion of a criminal record check.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proactive individual with strong organizational skills and planning skills is essential.
- Flawless writing skills, strong verbal as well as written communication skills.
- Enhanced knowledge of communication and strong IT skills.
- Customer service experience in challenging environments.
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance and acute attention to detail.
- Ability to think quickly and work under pressure.
- Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity.
- Comfortable with working with individuals from all cultures and backgrounds as well as with professional groups and businesses.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in a team environment providing support to our homeless outreach & housing support teams as well as our mental health & substance use programs.
- Provide support and assistance in planning and facilitating summer community events, programs and daily activities with the programs.
- Participate direct support services to our Outreach Participants.
- Assist staff in our Mobile Outreach Van Program, complete intakes at our Outreach Resource Sites, assist staff with creating and facilitating client programming, and any other duties that may be required.
- Perform data entry, file maintenance and various IT related projects.