Job Opportunity with Nanaimo Science
Nanaimo Science is hiring a full-time Outreach Educator (1-year contract, with potential for renewal).
Nanaimo Science is a non-profit registered charity whose mission is to inspire families and develop their interest in science and sustainability through hands-on learning. Throughout the year Nanaimo Science offers science outreach programs to children and families through school programs, at our science studio and at community events. Programs range from 1 hour activities, to full-day workshops, to running a booth at community events. The Outreach Educator will work closely with Nanaimo Science's Outreach Coordinator and Executive Director to facilitate workshops, assist with activity development and teach Nanaimo Science programs.
As a Nanaimo Science Outreach Educator you will deliver Nanaimo Science programs to our community.
This is a full-time position (35-40 hrs/wk); hourly wage: $16-18/hr; work schedule will be Tuesday to Saturday.
Start date: As soon as possible once a suitable candidate has been selected.
Duties will include:
● Preparing materials for outreach programs;
● Delivering Nanaimo Science programs to groups of children and families;
● Assisting with the development of new activities;
● Assisting with web-based outreach (e.g., updating website, Instagram/Facebook etc.); and,
● Training youth leaders (high school students) and volunteers.
● Have a passion for outreach and teaching science;
● A BSc/BA in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Math, Environmental Science, Geography, Physics, Computing Science, Engineering, etc.) or Education (must also have successfully completed some university science courses);
● Be a self-motivated and conscientious person who can work independently and in teams;
● Have experience working with kids in a camp or educational setting;
● Have experience developing science activities/curriculum;
● Be willing and able to work outside with groups of kids in all types of weather;
● Be willing to work some evenings;
● Be willing to work Saturdays;
● Have a valid driver’s license;
● Be able to lift up to 35 lbs; and
● Be willing to have a criminal background check.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!