Job Opportunity with Nanaimo Science
Summer Outreach Educator
Nanaimo Science is hiring several full-time Outreach Educators for the summer of 2021.
Nanaimo Science is a non-profit registered charity whose mission is to inspire families and develop their interest in science and sustainability through hands-on learning.
Throughout the summer, Nanaimo Science offers day camps to elementary school-aged children. These day camps provide much needed child care for families, but also offer educational activities that are fun and engaging for children. Programs run from late June or early July through early September. Camps run Monday through Fridays. Occasional weekend or evening hours may be available for other programming. Summer Outreach Educators will work closely with Nanaimo Science's Outreach Coordinator to run camps, and assist with activity development of the camp content.
This is a full-time position (35-40 hrs/wk); hourly wage: $16.00/hr + 4% vacation paid out.
Work schedule will typically be Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Work start/end dates: July 4, 2021 - September 3, 2021 (Earlier start dates may be available depending
on demand and availability.)
Duties will include:
● Leading students through educational activities in a variety of subjects, from astronomy to biology, working with computers, building with simple materials, and more.
● Developing inquiry based activities for summer camps, workshops and nature explorations
● Leading children through activities during camps
● Training/mentoring youth (LIT) volunteers
● Taking responsibility for the welfare and learning of students, including apply appropriate behaviour management techniques as necessary
● Assisting other Nanaimo Science staff to prepare materials
● Ensuring COVID safety policies and procedures are maintained
● Have a passion for outreach and teaching science;
● Have a strong background in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Math, RMOT, Physics, etc.), Engineering, Computing Science, or Education - must have successfully completed some university-level science courses;
● Be a self-motivated and conscientious person who can work independently and in teams;
● Have experience working with children in a camp or educational setting;
● Be willing and able to work outside with groups of children in all types of weather;
● Be able to lift up to 35 lbs; and
● Be willing to have a criminal background check for work with vulnerable sector individuals.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!