JOB POSTING 2021-125-06
Wage: $16 per hour
Position: Part-time – 17 hours per week
Temporary, 16 weeks
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969. We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life. Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all. We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership. Come help us help people.
The Youth Worker works with the Youth and Family Empowerment Coordinator to organize, facilitate, and deliver health and wellness activities for youth ages 12-24. Activities are delivered both in-person and virtually using online meeting platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
This position is offered in partnership with the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment.
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred.
- Legally entitled to work in British Columbia.
- Co-facilitates health and wellness groups for youth 12-24 years old with Peer Support Workers and external presenters both in-person and virtually.
- Provide a safe and inclusive environment for youth.
- Plans both virtual and in-person groups according to Public Health and funder guidelines, coordinating with partner organizations, as necessary.
- Ensures safety protocols are communicated to in-person group participants and provides any required safety supplies and PPE.
- Organizes group facilitators including identifying appropriate facilitators, scheduling facilitators, orienting facilitators to the program and ensuring facilitators have required supplies.
- Delivers or arranges for delivery of activity supplies to virtual group participants.
- Plans and coordinates transportation for in-person group participants.
- Maintains confidential client data and reports data and stats using client database.
- Provides navigation services to youth contacting Foundry.
- Engages youth in program development reaching out to participants to collect their feedback regarding group activities and topics.
- Models appropriate behaviour and respectful communication.
- Assists youth in navigating Foundry’s programs and facility as needed.
- Provides transportation for participant to and from activities as needed.
- Assists Youth and Family Empowerment Coordinator with ongoing projects and tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Completed or working toward a Diploma in Social Work, Psychology, Child and Youth Care, Counselling, Sociology, or related field.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License with satisfactory driving record is an asset.
- Emergency First Aid with CPR level C is an asset.
- Experience working with Youth.
- Experience in a customer service position.
- Experience delivering a program in community is an asset.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong written, verbal, and active listening skills able to communicate respectfully and effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Well-developed facilitation and presentation skills. Able to present effectively both in-person and virtually.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Understanding of social media, youth culture, and current trends.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Strong competency with technology, familiarity with virtual meeting and presentation platforms, particularly Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Able to work as a productive member of a collaborative team.
- This position may require the use of a personal vehicle in good working order.
- Occasional interactions with difficult people may occur.