Two days on and two days off and every second weekend (8:00pm-8:00am)
Disabilities program 302-34 Birch House, a residential home in Edmonton, supports/supervises a 26 year old female with FASD, Schizophrenia, substance abuse disorder and an acquired brain injury (ABI).
Challenging behaviours occur on a daily basis and only applicants with 2+ years experience with persons with developmental disabilities with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
SCHEDULE: 8pm-8am 2 shifts on/2 shifts off and every second weekend
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
In Your Role You Will
• During overnight hours staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner to persons in a residential group or private home setting through individualized support plans (ISPs)
• Teach/model socially appropriate behaviors and personal independent living skills (hygiene, chores, behavior regulation, etc) or assist with direct care as required.
• Deal with challenging behaviour and use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Administer medication, first aid, or notify emergency medical personnel if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MIN 2+ years experience in Disability Services, challenging behaviours, & significant mental health concerns
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education, Social Work, LPN, Psychology, Psychiatric Nursing or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Class 5 driver license (not GDL), clear driving abstract and vehicle
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees (employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance)
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!