The Senior Accountant is responsible for ensuring the company's financial plans and policies, accounting practices and the preparation of financial reports are maintained and produced in a timely manner. This position involves supervision over general accounting, fixed asset accounting, cost accounting, and budgetary controls.
- Prepare and review monthly financial statements with Executive Director and General Manager for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Review monthly balance sheet reconciliations and resolve any issues
- Prepare quarterly rolling cashflow forecasts and financial forecasts
- Oversee issuing of cheques / payment of invoices.
- Liaise with management staff and advise them on cost management, cost control measures and the cost effectiveness of their program areas.
- Oversee internal system of handling funds.
- Develop and maintain policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization's books of account. Prepare and file the GST reporting and the annual T3010 Charitable Information return.
- Maintain current knowledge of Government programs re subsidies, worker support programs etc. Prepare applications for programs and manage the collection.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for annual audit.
- Preparing annual operating budget in consultation with the Executive Director and General Manager to facilitate presenting draft budget to Board in June of each fiscal year.
- Ensure an up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support book-keeping and financial records is maintained.
- Develop, analyze and interpret statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Accounting Department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired or removed from the Department.
- Furnish internal reports, revise and update reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnish external reports as necessary.
- Evaluate and recommend insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities. Ensure any insurance claims are recovered in a timely manner.
- The Senior Accountant has the final responsibility for providing effective financial controls for the organization.
Qualifications - Requirements
- CPA designation is required.
- 5+ years of experience in financial management.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Quick-books and Excel.
- Accuracy and attention to detail while working under tight deadlines.
- Assertive, comfortable communicating with various types of individuals.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Strong sense of Stewardship
- Experience working in the non-profit sector (considered an asset)