Family & Youth Support Worker - High Prairie, Alberta
Job ID J0521-0718
Organization: WJS Canada
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: High Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 40 hrs/wk; Flexible work week (ome evenings and weekends may be required to meet the needs of the families)
Compensation: $26.25 + /Hour
Help WJS Canada build strong families who are resilient to life’s challenges.
Family Support Workers in our Collaborative Service Delivery Program emphasize building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals to overcome areas of struggle. Individualized services are based on the belief that the family’s own internal resources can be strengthened and other helpful skills can be developed.
Family Support Workers work directly with families, youth and children in High Prairie and community. As primary caseworker, they counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families.
Working a flexible schedule, the position will require the Family Support Worker to work regular office hours, as well as evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility is required in order to support families during evenings & weekends when they are gathered together & require the most support.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker Level 2.**
In Your Role You Will
• Conduct family visits in the community and be available for evening/weekend visits and/or on standby as required.
• Attend supervised visits with children, youth and families involved with Child and Family Services.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• Establish trusting relationships with children and families; assisting them in interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, etc.
• Individual and group counseling as appropriate.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Connect children and families with resources and organize ongoing service delivery with community partners.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Follow up on closed case files to ensure family safety and implementation of individual program plans.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma/Degree in Social work, Child and Youth Work, Sociology, Psychology, Counselling or similar. Other combinations considered.
• 3 years working with families in social services and supporting various challenges (addictions, mental health, domestic violence, suicide, etc.)
• Knowledge and application of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Knowledge of indigenous culture.
• Suicide prevention and cultural sensitivity training
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Supervised Visitation
• Family Team Meetings, Group Conferencing
• Child Protection
• Foster and Kinship Care
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit package including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 3 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!