Community Disability Support Worker – Vegreville, Alberta
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Vegreville, Alberta
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 40+ hrs/wk; 12-hour day shifts on a two-week rotation.
Compensation: $20.09 - $23/hr
304-37 Leaf's program
Our team support people with developmental disabilities in becoming empowered and active in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, mental health concerns, dual diagnosis. By focusing on the individuals and their progress, we encourage goal setting and provide training/modelling to help clients reach goals of independence and community inclusion.
*Complex need rate ($20.09+/hr) paid when supporting complex needs clients. Regular rate ($17.09-$20) paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training and career development
• Flexible hours
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals through life and social skills training.
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Teach/assist the individual to complete daily household tasks (food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc.
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Communicate/document information relating to program changes/service recipient changes.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to pursue life choices, and participate in their community.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• High School Diploma or GED
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs. Educational Assistant, Nurse or Health Care Aide experience may be considered.
• Anger management, daily living, self help, skills training.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Independent living and family support services
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!