Direct Support Worker (SUPPORT COORDINATOR)
Full Time, Part Time, Relief & Term Positions
- Help the individual and their circle of support develop, and document individualized, person-centered plans to guide services related to individual development, community participation, behavior management and/or personal care.
- Assist with support plans in more complex situations.
- Encourage individuals to use their rights and take responsibility to make life choices.
- Provide direct care to individuals with high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as
- Monitor and support the health and well-being of individuals in care. This includes identifying changes in conditions related to individual’s behavior, physical and emotional well-being, and takes all necessary steps to address.
- Strictly adhere to medical protocols and standing orders for medication and other
- Find and develop recreational and other social interaction opportunities for individuals, in order to create a wider range of options and natural supports within the community.
- Be a social and/or recreational role model and coach to help the individual participate and contribute effectively within the community.
- Create clear, objective records and complete required reports and other documentation as required by the position.
- Communicate in a professional, timely, accurate and respectful way with individuals, families, guardians, staff and community
- Work effectively in a team-oriented
- Preferably a Diploma or equivalent post-secondary education in a relevant discipline; and additional specialized training and progressively more responsible experience in a relevant discipline/setting.
- A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right and responsibility to define and pursue their life choices and pursue active participation in the
- An understanding of the opportunities and options available to persons with disabilities plus demonstrated cultural and ethnic
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Well-developed coaching and mentoring and coordinating skills.
- Effective time-management and priority-setting skills, and the ability to balance competing demands/priorities and deal with competing opinions.
- Relevant knowledge and the ability to model and support the development of basic living, personal and social
- Relevant knowledge and the ability to contribute to effective person-centered programming plans around skill acquisition and/or behaviors of concern.
- A minimum of 2 years experience with diabetes, epilepsy, dementia, lifts and transfers.
- Knowledge of the broader range of community resources available to support an individual’s participation and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team. This includes the ability to function effectively within an individual’s circle of support.
- The ability to work various shift schedules and in physically challenging situations, as required.
Full Time Positions
Part Time Awake Overnight Position
Term Positions - 6mth & 12mth
Details of shift times for all positions available can be found on the WSA website. www.winnifredstewart.com
- Vulnerable Sector Security Clearance
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess their own vehicle, a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and are able to provide proof of 2M Liability Insurance.
- First Aid and CPR certification