The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal governments, representing the interests of cities and communities with the federal government.
Position: Funding Advisor, Green Municipal Fund (GMF)
Department: FCM Programs
Classification: Level 5
Languages: Bilingualism (English and French) is required
The Funding Advisor develops and leads process changes and management initiatives in support of the Client and Funding Services team. Central functions of this role encompass proactive facilitation of financing at key points of contract negotiation, project implementation and disbursement, as well as research and analysis in order to identify and evaluate possible options and creative solutions to improve funding processes and decision-making.
Research and analysis
- Leads the review and analysis of the operational performance of Client and Funding Service sector teams, identifying opportunities for improvement, assessing impact of indicators and targets, and providing recommendations to the Funding Manager
- Working with Knowledge and Sector Development advisors, reviews and assesses GMF-relevant resources and maintains knowledge of current sustainability best practices in the municipal and environmental sectors, ensuring that project officers are utilizing these resources with their clients
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of effective and innovative project management tools and approaches
- Reviews and analyzes GMF-funded initiatives for the purpose of identifying best practices in project management and budgeting of capital projects, pilots, studies and plans
- Works directly with Project Verification Specialist to develop tools and methodologies to effectively assess environmental impact from a technical and client service perspective
- Manages the overall assessment of peer reviewer performance in terms of accuracy, quality and completeness, providing updates and recommendations to the Funding Manager
- Works with the Funding Manager in monitoring and evaluating current funding processes and tools, and researches value-added best practices
- Leads the development of improved funding processes or tools
Client service delivery
- Assists the Funding Manager in coordinating all aspects of the GMF loan and grant funding application process, evaluation, contracting and disbursement processes to ensure the efficient, effective and timely allocation and disbursement of funds.
- Supports Project Officers in the reviews and analysis of the preliminary assessment of baseline, anticipated and actual environmental benefits.
- Performs site visits in order to facilitate contract negotiations, disbursement requests, and scope changes with at-risk files.
- Collaborates with the Funding Manager and Credit Analyst on the assessment of financial viability of projects
- Leads the technical training of new project officers and supports their continuous learning.
- Supports Knowledge Services in the implementation of capacity building materials that promote funding opportunities for potential applicants.
- Manages communication and engagement with cross-unit and department Advisors to ensure that Client and Funding Services initiatives are well integrated with other GMF-wide initiatives to ensure smooth, simple and effective overall processes.
- Prepares briefing material to the Funding Manager on funding recommendations for loan and grant initiatives, as well as reports on progress towards key objectives.
- Presents funding recommendations and memos for information and approval, with the support of the Funding Manager, to GMF Council.
- Participates as required in cross-functional team project work for GMF, FCM Programs department or in FCM-wide initiatives
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- University degree in an environmental science, engineering, planning, finance or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of professional experience in project management/evaluation, ideally related to one or more technical sustainable community development area, and in a client focused role.
- Project Management experience an asset.
- Strong knowledge in the areas of program management with a focus on sustainable municipal development or environmental issues at municipal level an asset.
- Knowledge of and experience with working with municipalities is a strong asset.
- Strong knowledge and experience in one or more technical areas of sustainable community development (energy, water, municipal solid waste, transportation, brownfields, and planning) is ideal.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent client service skills.
- Strong organizational skills, priority management skills, and ability to manage multiple files.
- Detail oriented and strong analytical skills.
- Sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- The ability to work in both official languages is required
The benefits to joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market, FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a temporary work from home protocol until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home during this period.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at www.fcm.ca.
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is June 15, 2021.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.