Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Accountable for the property development, asset management, property maintenance and customer service of all YWCA Hamilton owned, leased and operated sites. Includes current projects under development and new opportunities to expand the YWCA’s portfolio and affordable housing.
- Oversees and manages property development, asset management, property maintenance and preventive maintenance;
- Develops and implements strategic plans (capital, operating) reflecting the needs of the community served and develops sites that respond to those needs in the development of new opportunities and improvements of current facilities;
- Ensures that capital projects and programs for new, replacement or enhanced infrastructure, maximize customer service, satisfy internal stakeholder requirements, incorporate external agency requirements, and serve public interests;
- Plans and creates long-term operational plans for building upgrades, facility improvements, preventative maintenance plans ensuring compliance with all regulations (e.g. building code, fire code, occupational health and safety);
- Oversees on-call procedures of the Facilities Department and participates in the on-call rotation with Facilities team to support emergency service needs of YWCA sites after hours, weekends and holidays;
- Informs the organizations’ Emergency Response Plans related to YWCA Hamilton facilities and takes on a leadership role during emergency procedures;
- Responsible for 150,000 square foot facilities 2 multi-use site which includes 110 residential units, seniors centres, overnight shelter, gymnasiums, fitness centre and commercial kitchen (MacNab Street), 1 commercial residential facility (Ottawa Street), 7 group homes, 1 residential care facility, 1 second stage home with 5 apartment units, and 4 licensed childcare sites;
- Oversees the work of Front Desk support at 2 multi-use sites for clients, visitors and other stakeholders accessing services and facilities;
- Ensures the development, management and evaluation of all YWCA Hamilton sites including security, safety, mechanical and electrical systems, cleaning, maintenance, landscaping, fire safety procedures and all regulatory compliance requirements i.e. ESA, TSSA, etc.;
- Ensures that all permits and licenses are obtained and up to date;
- Ensures an accurate and up to date database/system of records and inventory is maintained for property systems related to maintenance, including the development of a preventive maintenance plan;
- Ensures the development of all policies and procedures related to the effective, efficient and legal delivery of department services and programs;
- Responsible for creating and managing department and group home and second stage maintenance budgets;
- Oversees and approve all department procurement practices, build and maintain positive vendor relations;
- Participates in the negotiation of leases for commercial spaces at MacNab and the leasing of program sites for residential programs;
- Practices cultural competency in working with the community, clients, visitors and staff;
- Incorporates a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive in responding to program departments and the service needs of people accessing YWCA Hamilton facilities and prioritizes the needs of at-risk clients in operational planning;
- Prioritizes use of resources and exercises judgment in mobilizing resources to achieve objectives (e.g. preventative and annual maintenance, capital improvements, deferred maintenance projects);
- Uses influence and negotiates to achieve win/win situations when possible, working with internal clients and/or stakeholders (client services groups and program-based departments) and externally with contractors, government (e.g. City Planning, Fire, Public Health, Housing, Ministry of Community and Social Services), community partners/organizations and funders;
- Leverages external parties (e.g. contractors, consultants) to achieve specific results (e.g. projects, building maintenance);
- Manages and monitors customer service quality and implements improvements where needed;
- Identifies opportunities for funding and grant opportunities for projects, maintenance and upgrading of current properties; pursues opportunities partnering with Development and Finance;
- Seeks opportunities for property development to support YWCA Hamilton programs;
- Supports partnerships and collaboration with other organizations to ensure high quality, comprehensive and relevant programs;
- Develops effective working relationships with the City, Province and Federal agencies / departments to support property development and facility upgrades to meet service delivery needs of YWCA Hamilton;
- Prioritizes Green Energy, energy efficiencies, and sustainable models for development and operating that has the least impact on the environment;
- Responsible for ensuring the required Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) supplies and equipment are available and meet required standards, including but not limited to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), for infection control and emergency procedures in pandemics, epidemics and / or infectious disease outbreaks at YWCA Hamilton facilities;
- Liaises with other Program Directors / Managers to ensure collaboration and integration across YWCA Hamilton programs and services and create opportunities for building capacity among colleagues;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with employee and contract information;
- Prepares reports for the Director of Operations on the activities and outcomes of all property development and programs;
- Develops, manages and monitors operating and capital budgets;
- Meets financial targets, resolves issues by monitoring, and taking corrective action;
- Directly manages 4 employees (Manager, Building Operations, Project Manager, Property Operations Manager and Front Desk Supervisor); indirectly manages 15 employees including recruiting, training and evaluating performance;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours as a member of the management team;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health & safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works a standard 37.50-hour work week;
- Regular visits and inspections of facilities and construction sites;
- On-call emergency coverage required (e.g. floods, inclement weather/shut down).
- Completion of 4-year degree in business, engineering, urban planning, or building sciences, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in facilities management or operations at a senior management level;
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ management experience with demonstrated leadership skills;
- Experience in the non-profit sector and affordable housing is an asset;
- Experience in managing new developments, renovations and retrofits;
- Knowledge in green energy and environmental sustainability practices in facility operations and / or construction is an asset;
- Knowledge of fire and emergency preparedness, preferably in public spaces and environments dedicated to serving vulnerable populations;
- Extensive knowledge in property management, building maintenance and project management principles;
- Familiar with conducting regular visits and inspections of facilities and construction sites;
- Ability to respond to on-call for emergency coverage as required (e.g. floods, inclement weather/shut down;
- Must be able to lead and work from a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective, for operations and strategic planning;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, from racialized communities, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+, persons with disAbilities, and individuals from other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.