e4c has a unique opportunity as the Café Coordinator for the Hallway Café Program. Are you someone who is known for creating amazing espresso based beverages? Do you have a passion for creating change? The Café Coordinator position is meant for you! e4c is looking for someone to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team involved in café operation, business growth and supporting at-risk youth.
The Hallway Café’s kitchen is located within the downtown core. The Hallway Café provides a breakfast and lunch service and the daily production of baked goods! As well as a food catering operation. You will be a part of a safe and supportive environment that acts as a ‘go-to’ place for at-risk youth and offers employment readiness services for youth along with food and beverage services.
Hours: Full-time: Monday to Friday: 8:00am to 4:00pm; may include some evenings and weekends due to special events.
Why Join Our Team
- Empower youth through rapport building, role modelling, skill building and hands on training.
- Gain experience supporting at-risk youth.
- Be mentored by leaders with over 20 years of culinary experience related to food service, catering and pastry creation.
- In-house collaborative training opportunities to build knowledge, skills and tools relevant to your role.
- Robust benefit program, RRSP contributions, 3 weeks’ vacation, EAP and other work related benefits.
In Your Role You Will
- Supervise and train all Front of the House youth in the Employment Readiness Program.
- Provide leadership to youth participants, monitor results, and gives direction to those in Front of the House (FOH).
- Develop program curriculum for up to 40 youth annually as part of the Employee Readiness Program at The Hallway Café.
- Provide training for youth participants in barista/beverage, cashier and floor service and customer service modules of the program.
- Ensure youth working in the Café are able to be successful in their role and meeting program expectations.
- Build rapport with the youth, demonstrate compassion and empathy for at-risk youth.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to share in both the successes of participants and address any challenges or barriers.
- Provide vision, direction and leadership for The Hallway Café and catering as a social enterprise with limited resource.
- Ensure a high standard of customer satisfaction, enjoyment, innovation and presentation at The Hallway Café for dine in guests and catering events.
- Work hand in hand with the Catering Coordinator to ensure a thriving seamless in demand catering operation.
- Ensure proper equipment training, operation and maintenance.
- Establish relationships with local businesses, suppliers and stakeholder.
- Create innovative marketing opportunities within the café.
- Responsible for cost management; keeping labor and food costs in line with budget.
- Maintain and report end of day statistics from the point of sale system in accordance with policy and procedures and CRA standards.
- Comply with all e4c policy & procedures, Occupational Health & Safety standards and program operational policies.
Education and Certifications:
- High school diploma
- ProServe Certification must be obtain prior to start
- Food Handling Certification
- WHMIS is considered an asset
- 5 years’ experience as a food service professional.
- 3 years’ experience leadership in food service environment.
- Prior experience working as a barista, café manager or in a social enterprise is an asset.
- Previous leadership in small to medium food service establishment.
- Proven track record of cost control including food, equipment, labor and wastage to meet financial goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, access problems and make prompt decisions.
- Proficient with MS Office package and cost management system.
e4c background check process includes submission of a Police Intervention Check with Vulnerable Sector Check and Intervention Record Check.
In House Training is offered for the below certificates:
- First Aid (CPR-AED)
- Cultural Awareness, De-Escalation, Suicide Intervention, Harm Reduction, Trauma Informed Practices
Posting Closing Date: June 23rd, 2021
At e4c diversity is our strength. We embrace diversity and offer equal opportunities to all qualified applicants. We welcome your application regardless of origin, culture, ethnicity, age, ability, gender identity, sexual orientation or faith.