The Mental Health Worker will be responsible for assisting mental health clients with various levels of medication administration, providing support and assistance with psychosocial activities & providing assistance with activities of daily living. Our Assisted Living Program will focus on providing Psychosocial Rehabilitation to clients with emphasis on promoting recovery, successful community integration and satisfactory quality of life.
HIGHLIGHTS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists clients in the residence and in the community to encourage them to function more independently. Develops knowledge of local resources/activities and assists clients in gaining access to community supports such as leisure, vocational and educational services. Makes referrals to other programs and resources if required.
- Works in collaboration with the Mental Health Clinical Team, which includes Case Manager, Psychiatrist, Pharmacist and other health care professionals. Fostering a team approach to ensure the client has access to the tools and resources to achieve their goals as outlined in their recovery care plan
- Participate in care/recovery planning with clients and/mental health clinical team while providing community based Psycho social rehabilitation services by identifying and supporting clients in accessing and developing links into community programs and services
- Monitors clients’ well-being. Assists clients with activities of daily living such as, but not limited to, appointments reminders, assist to facilitate public transportation, medication management, attending medical appointments, providing reminders for personal hygiene & grooming. Depending on clients’ needs and abilities, worker may provide assistance with laundry services, including housekeeping/tiding suite, along with other hospitality services Facilitate and engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with clients.
- Evaluates clients on an ongoing basis and develops plans and strategies to meet client’s needs. Also ensures that the client actively participates and engages in the program expectations and recovery plan. Advocating for and with the clients to encourage them to maintain their rights and dignity.
- Able to recognize, analyze and strategize around potential emergencies. Reports problems to supervisor and or proper authorities. Reports and addresses health and safety issues/concerns as they arise
- Provides accurate reports and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required.
- Makes recommendations with regard to the development of the program and participates in program evaluations.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience (Mental Health Worker/Residential Care Aide certificate/training)
- Current Level I First Aid certificate required
- FoodSafe Certificate required
- Unrestricted Class 5 Drivers License
- Access to a reliable vehicle for business use
- Lived experience relevant to the service setting
- Medication Administration Certificate
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups and observe/recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Firm understanding of harm reduction approach and its implementation in a community based setting.
- Demonstrated ability in crisis de-escalation skills applied in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability working with individuals living with substance misuse issues and or an untreated mental illness.
- Understanding of a trauma informed approach and psychosocial rehabilitation practices
- Ability to work with clients living with mental illness.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.