For over 70 years, St. Jude’s Anglican Home has been compassionately caring for older British Columbians. Located near Vancouver’s Cambie corridor, St. Jude’s is a not-for-profit Long-term care home that serves 55 elders with half of our clients living in Special Care. We employ the Eden philosophy and have a superb reputation for providing high quality complex care.
We are now seeking a permanent full-time (Mon – Fri) position of DIRECTOR OF CARE
As our Director of Care, you will be a vital member of our small but passionate management team, and a strong leader motivated to continue St. Jude’s tradition of best practice clinical eldercare.
- Leads the care team in fulfilling St. Jude’s mission and philosophy of care through policy development, education, management, and effective communication
- Ensures the consistent delivery of high standards of clinical practice, assessment, and care planning as established by current legislation, VCH policies and Licencing.
- Directs all unionized care staff (Nurses, Care Aides, Recreation Therapist, and Activity Aides), including hiring, training, educating, performance management, and where needed, discipline and termination
- Liaises with physicians, families, clinical contractors and mental health, community resources.
- Supports Residents and their families during admissions and beyond to ensure Residents and appropriate others are involved in care planning.
- Participates, as a member of the leadership team, in setting organizational strategic objectives, providing leadership and direction of operations.
- Plans, co-ordinates, implements and evaluates educational programs for staff and families. Encourages the professional growth of the care team.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates continuous quality improvement in all aspects of care
- Assists in identifying areas of research or study in which St. Jude’s can participate and improve seniors care.
Education and Experience:
- Degree/Diploma in Nursing including specific training and knowledge of gerontology, palliative care, complex care and dementia care.
- Minimum 5-7 years clinical nursing experience and three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Must hold current, practicing membership in BCCNM.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong, effective communication, leadership, and organizational skills
- Knowledgeable about the Long-Term Care system in BC
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity, and self-direction.
- Ability to interact positively with all stakeholders in the St. Jude’s Community
- Ability to supervise, lead, direct and motivate.
- Ability to empower and motivate staff to build strong team.
- Knowledge and experience in the Eden philosophy of care or another Person-centered care model considered an asset
- Experience with health care collective agreements is considered an asset (HEU and BCNU)
- A commitment to ongoing professional education and learnin
What we offer:
- Competitive wages
- Extended Health Care
- Dental Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Long Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Group Life Insurance
St. Jude’s is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive workplace that encourages applications from those from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives