To support individuals with developmental disabilities to meet their potential and have full lives in an inclusive, supportive community.
The Recreation Assistant will work closely with the Recreation Therapist and direct support positions to plan recreational planning to people with disabilities.
- Work in conjunction with the support from the recreational therapist to direct, and coordinate summer recreation-based programs for adults with developmental disabilities who live in their homes.
- Use a variety of modalities, including arts and crafts; drama, music and dance; sports, and games; and possibly community outings to help maintain and improve an individual’s physical, social and emotional well being.
- Assess individuals’ recreational and social needs using observation, medical records, nutritional requirements and discussions with other internal direct support professionals, individuals’ families, and guardians.
- Documenting an individual’s progress, and developing, delivering and formally evaluating recreational programming using a variety of methods.
- Develop creative and innovative recreational plans and programs that meet individual(s) needs and interests and evaluate their success.
- Engage individual(s) in therapeutic activities, such as exercise, games, and community outings.
- Maintain effective two-way communication and strong relationship with individual(s), and staff keeping them informed of current and upcoming events.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to manage job stress due to occasional time and priority pressures
- Ability to deal with stressful situations competently and respectfully
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- As per Canada Summer Jobs eligibility requirements, all applicants should be between the age of 15 and 30 years at time of employment and must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
Closing Date: Open competition until suitable candidates are selected.
- Approximately 35 hours a week for 12 weeks.
- Pay rate $16.00 p/hr.
- Valid drivers license and use of personal vehicle.