Type: Full Time, Term Position (1 year from date filled, with possibility of extension)
Starting Salary: $53,000-$55,000 based on experience, plus benefits
Location: Volunteer Alberta, Downtown Edmonton, work from home during pandemic
Hours of Work: 37.5 hrs/week including occasional evenings and weekend work
Do you want to work in an upbeat and vibrant provincial organization focused on strengthening and creating pathways for volunteerism and civic engagement? Are you interested in developing innovative and creative ways of engaging, connecting and empowering nonprofit organizations and communities across Alberta by providing services, sharing knowledge, and making connections?
Collaboration. Integrity. Learning. Responsiveness. Adaptability. Asset-based Approach.
Our collaborative principles inform how we work together and embody our values:
We are open by default. We check our assumptions. We are curious and don’t judge. We practice active, empathetic listening. We are in service of each other.
If your values and principles align with ours, we invite you to submit an application to help Volunteer Alberta build strength and capacity in Alberta’s nonprofit/voluntary sector.
Volunteer Alberta is committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce and strongly encourages applications from diverse candidates. Volunteer Alberta is an Equal Opportunity employer.
What we offer after successfully completing the 3 month probationary period:
- comprehensive benefits package including health and dental benefits
- three weeks’ vacation
- contributions towards an RRSP
- extended break during the winter holiday season
- investment in the professional development of our staff
VA is seeking a skilled business development professional who is enthusiastic, innovative, organized, and resourceful with strong writing skills. Reporting to the Executive Director, you are responsible for the management and strategic implementation of Volunteer Alberta’s business development and revenue diversification strategies. Operating within a team environment, your primary responsibilities include identifying and co-creating strategic opportunities for business development including new funders, partnerships and revenue generation opportunities. You will oversee our external communications and brand image, keep up-to-date on funding and programming trends, research potential funding opportunities, lead the development of funding applications and assist with reporting.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain annual business development and revenue diversification strategies.
- Identify strategic opportunities for Volunteer Alberta to work towards its mission and vision, including engaging in and fostering strategically important conversations, partnerships, and collaborations
- Proposal Writing:
- Research potential funding opportunities
- Co-lead the VA Revenue Diversification Working Group
- Work with the Executive Director to select appropriate funding opportunities.
- Prepare, gather information, draft funding proposals and applications for relevant opportunities to support VA’s work towards our mission and submit funding proposals and reports
- Lead VA’s Digital Strategy including the current VA web site refresh and redesign
- Work strategically with appropriate staff and external stakeholders to negotiate and develop collaborative delivery agreements
- Lead in the management of (timelines, expectations, outcomes, etc.) and delegation of project tasks and high level deliverables
- Liaise with the Controller to manage and oversee contracts for obligations, timelines and payments to ensure they are met
- Supervise the Senior Coordinators of Communications, and Membership and Engagement, interns and volunteers when required
- Review process research and data collection, evaluation, program trend monitoring/research, analysis research, data and statistics in relation to the applications submitted, declined and received
- Work with Senior Coordinator of Communications to oversee the advertising, marketing campaigns to expand the reach and organizational outcomes as needed
- Oversee revenue generation activities, including membership. Work with Senior Coordinator of Membership and Engagement on expanding our network, and fostering engagement opportunities to expand the reach.
- Provide day-to-day high level support and advice to reporting team members on operational issues, concerns, and improvements
- Mentor and support project team members and work strategically with the project teams to develop initiatives and strategies and corresponding proposals and reports
- Post-Secondary degree/diploma in business, communications, or other relevant field of study. Related experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit/voluntary sector, client groups and/or related issues concerning volunteerism and civic engagement
- Experience supervising staff
- Strong background in stakeholder engagement and business development
- Demonstrated success in proposal and report writing
- Project management and organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple demands
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships
- Excellent computer/technology skills (ex. MS Office, data base and project management software)
- Evaluation experience at both strategic and operational/program levels
- Adaptability and ability to learn on the job, creative problem-solving, solution oriented
- High degree of accuracy and the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Experience using Zoom, Mural or other online convening platforms
- Presentation and/or facilitation skills
- Membership in Association of Fundraising Professionals or similar
- Event management skills
- Experience using Survey Monkey, online registration systems (Eventbrite), Google applications
- Effective research skills
- Experience working in a nonprofit/voluntary sector organization as a staff and volunteer