Schedule: 28 hrs/wk; 12:00-20:00 per shift, rotating schedule.
304-34 Vegreville Fouplex, in Vegreville, Alberta, this program is a lifetime home for young men with complex, high behaviours, living with developmental disabilities and other mental health challenges .
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care that maximizes independence, supports unique strengths and qualities, and encourages community involvement.
As a Complex Needs Disability Services Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within community-based homes and around the community.
*The $20.09 - $23.09/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17.09-$20.09 is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
In Your Role You Will
• Assist/support individuals to develop and achieve personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• Assist the person in service with daily tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc.. (in your own vehicle)
• Encourage opportunities for community interaction (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education, LPN, Healthcare Aide, Nursing, etc
• One (1) year experience with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Independent living and family support services
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
- Training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction.
- Respect employees' work-life balance through flexible hours.
- Employee Assistance, wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!