The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
position Purpose summary:
To provide an outreach and discipleship ministry to children and young people from the Church and the local community, from preschool through University, with the ultimate goal of reaching them with the gospel, solidly connecting them with the church, and growing them in their relationship and service to God.
- Contribute with the spiritual development of children/youth by mentoring, discipling, encouraging, and modeling appropriate Christian attitudes and behaviours
- Pray with and lead youth to Christ, as well as family members, where opportunity is given
- Follow up with youth and parents/guardians on spiritual decisions made, build, and strengthen relationships, and guide youth in establishing active links with the Corps and its ministries
- Other duties as required, including the possibility of occasional Sunday preaching
Children and Youth Program Leadership:
- Provide leadership/oversight for all current child/youth ministries
- Evaluate, develop, and implement programs/ministries relevant to the children and youth of the church and the wider community
- Plan, promote, facilitate, and supervise special events, including Rally Day, Vacation Bible School, any day trips or special outings, and support Divisional Youth Events
- Create and coordinate evangelistic outreach activities and provide/ensure pastoral care for children/youth as well as parents and guardians
- Must be accountable to the Mission Board for regular updates
- Inform the Corps Officer regarding any concerns or issues in a timely manner
Volunteer Coordination & Leadership
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders, as needed; submit recommendations and facilitate leadership development of volunteer team members
- Deal with volunteer complaints and incident reports
- Prepare, post, and maintain all volunteer schedules in accordance with operational requirements ensuring adequate coverage for all program functions
- Prepare and maintain written records/logs of activities, including activity reports and statistical information in accordance with TSA guidelines and standards
- Provide direction and support to program volunteers ensuring that they work together to achieve the purpose of the organization and enhance the ministries of The Salvation Army
- Must submit all pertinent statistics into The Salvation Army’s database (SAMIS)
Community Relationship Management:
- Liaise with our Community & Family Services to connect with youth/families, and to communicate appropriate services and programs the church offers
- Manage online ministries and online services as well as social media account
- Develop and maintain a strong social media presence for youth programs in accordance with TSA mission, vision, and values
- Connect with local school personnel to explore any mission/outreach possibilities
Health and Safety
- Maintain program storage areas (e.g., updating, safety, organizing, etc.).
- Seek out continual education in food safety and health standards, including maintaining Safe Food Handling Certification.
- Work in compliance with OH&S Act and Regulations and abide by The Salvation Army’s health and safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all COVID-19 protocols and requirements
- Some travel is required in all 4 seasons and is up to 24% of the time (program vehicle as available).
- Work requires a flexible schedule and may work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift/move objects/materials of up to 20 lbs.
Education, Qualification and Certifications:
- Completion of a certificate or diploma in Biblical Studies/Theology, Bible College/Youth Ministry education.
- Safe Food Handling Certification required or willingness to obtain.
- First Aid/CPR Certification required or willingness to obtain.
- Additional education in Children/Youth work is an asset.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License; personal vehicle and insurance, and a current copy of a Driver’s abstract
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening
- Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Children/Youth leadership, with a background in volunteer coordination and strong outreach and discipleship skills.
- Proficiency with social media and Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Completion of The Salvation Army on-line Abuse Training Program.
- Must have good written and verbal communication.
- Must be fluent in English both written and spoken.
- Must have proficiencies in various social media platforms.
- Strong sense of integrity and confidentiality with professional ethics.
- An ability to communicate to, motivate, train, and empower youth and youth ministry volunteers.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours which may include nights and weekends.
- Ability to work well within a cooperative team environment and follow the direction of the immediate supervisor.
- Possess strong interpersonal and conflict management skills, including the ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Possess a passion for the spiritual development and well-being of young people, and a love for the Church
- Articulate and demonstrate a clear vision for child/youth ministry.
- Understand, support; committed to teach and promote and be able to communicate and model the Mission, Values, sound Christian doctrine, and policies of The Salvation Army in Canada.
- Understand and accept the Mission Statement of Orillia Community Church.
- Willingness to attend and invest in The Salvation Army Orillia Corps Sunday services.
- Develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.